Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm RUM vs other mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm RUM vs other mags

Life isn't fair . I'm gonna go to my iron worker job site and your gonna shoot goats for dog food. What a life !

Unread 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Silver Member

You could get the 180 VLD to what you want but you will loose a lot more in cases and barrel life ! I have a load in my RUM with a 189grn. Cauterucio VLD that I chronoed at 3150 and gave excellent accuracy but I wouldn't want to shoot it except for hunting purposes as it will wear everything out quickly and I have found that 88.5 grains of Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD is a Real killer both in accuracy and on animals ! The 7mm,300 & 375 Ultra mag. cases are all the same with the .338 being the different one of the bunch !
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Ebert View Post
You could get the 180 VLD to what you want but you will loose a lot more in cases and barrel life ! I have a load in my RUM with a 189grn. Cauterucio VLD that I chronoed at 3150 and gave excellent accuracy but I wouldn't want to shoot it except for hunting purposes as it will wear everything out quickly and I have found that 88.5 grains of Retumbo with a 168 Berger VLD is a Real killer both in accuracy and on animals ! The 7mm,300 & 375 Ultra mag. cases are all the same with the .338 being the different one of the bunch !
Just curious, how many shots per year do you take hunting? I know that if I shot a rifle (any cal) just for hunting it would last for generations. I hear this barrel life thing a lot in respect to hunting rifles. Even the worst of the barrel burners would last 8 to 10 years if fired 100 times per year. Hear in MT I shoot about 6 animals per year. I realize there are some professional hunters that shoot hundreds of animals per year, but I don't think this is representative of the average hunter.

My opinion is get the hot rod cal of your choosing run it up hot and use it for what it was designed for. If you want to shoot 7 mag velocities out of a 7 RUM because you are afraid to burn up the barrel, then you should have a 7 mag.

Steve

PS. I am not aiming at Forrest here just commenting in general.

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Steve ,
I understand what you are saying and in fact agree with you but there are a lot of guy's that only can afford a gun or two and if you only have that type of gun you wouldn't be shooting it all the time and then you have to take into consideration practicing you end up with short barrel life. That is my point as I'm fortunate enough to be able to shoot from .223 -. 416 so I don't have to worry about burning a barrel out just have the problem of keeping powder & primers on hand to load with not mentioning bullets that appear and disappear !
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

I don't see how someone who has one of those magnum mashum flat type rifles cannot verify that the load shoots at long range and then switch to another rifle for the practice. If one was fanatical you could make an identical rig in a package with less recoil and longer barrel life to get the hands on experience.
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I'm sure there are a lot of guys that buy overbore mags not knowing that a barrel can be burnt out. It wasn't too many years ago that I had no idea that a rifle could be worn out. Never thought about it. I also only shot a 30-06 and bought two boxes of shells per year. Never shot past 300 yrds. I also thought there was no need for anything bigger than a 30-06. In that world, I was correct.

You guys are right on. There is no reason to burn up a big overbore rifle. JMHO. I am sure I couldn't be more wrong in some eyes.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
I don't see how someone who has one of those magnum mashum flat type rifles cannot verify that the load shoots at long range and then switch to another rifle for the practice. If one was fanatical you could make an identical rig in a package with less recoil and longer barrel life to get the hands on experience.
Its a valid point but I would rather practice/cull at long range using the rifle that was built for long range. When I step down to a smaller powered 7mm, I will still have to accept the fact that the barrel won't last as long as it could- the way I use it.

In hind sight, the .30-06 would have been a better choice rather than the .308 as my primary culling rifle. The little .308 suffers too much drift beyond 400 yards in our valleys, the short barrel limiting its performance with long, high BC bullets.