Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm RUM vs other mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm RUM vs other mags

When that ultramag case came out in the late 90's I necked it to everything. Very poor barrel life in the 7mm so I forgot that idea. I still have two with 31" barrels and the ballistics are great for limited shooting at antelope and deer. I would like to sell those. If you worked up your load and then just shelved it for hunting only it may have some value. I don't know what your planning on hunting with it but if you plan on including elk you will learn that elk don't read ballistic charts. If you plan on being an accomplished elk hunter you will end up with a 338.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Hello from Southeast Arkansas. Pleasure to be here. I'm new to the art of longerange shooting. I'm currently awaiting a new 30" Kreiger tube for my 7rum. I also am planning to launch 180 vld's thru it. It's intended use will be trophy whitetails across really long beanfields. Hoping it will be laser death.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
When that ultramag case came out in the late 90's I necked it to everything. Very poor barrel life in the 7mm so I forgot that idea. I still have two with 31" barrels and the ballistics are great for limited shooting at antelope and deer. I would like to sell those. If you worked up your load and then just shelved it for hunting only it may have some value. I don't know what your planning on hunting with it but if you plan on including elk you will learn that elk don't read ballistic charts. If you plan on being an accomplished elk hunter you will end up with a 338.
I would have to say that I am an accomplished elk hunter, and I have shot most of my elk with a bow. 4 of them with a 30-06. And only one with an overbore 30 cal. None with a cartridge larger than a 30 cal. I don't feel held back by a lack of having a .338. I don't believe that an individual must have a .338 in order to hunt elk. In fact, I would guess that a very small percentage of elk taken, are taken with calibers larger than .308.

Just my opinion, not looking for an argument. Just don't want people to think that they have to have a giant rifle in order to be an "accomplished" elk hunter.

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

I believe that the Long Ranger was talking from a long range view point. If I want to shoot elk out to a thousand yards, get a .338 magnum of some variety.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdrum View Post
I was plugging the 180gr Berger VLD's into a ballistic program and realized if you can launch them at 3300fps+ they absolutely outshoot anything 250gr and under in any caliber bullet.

Now for the cartridge to push it:

7mm RUM (is this the same case as the 300RUM, or would the 300RUM necked down be advantegous as in case w/ the .338 edge?)

.284 Norma Mag, based on the .338 norma case, necked down to .284, should yield roughly 97gr case capacity

7mm Allen Mag, based on the .338 Lapua case, should be very samiliar to the Norma mag, accept in long magnum format

(of coarse w/ these large sums of powder being burnt, I realize the need to a high quality 28-30" tube)

Anyone have expierence w/ these cartridges? how about highspeed 7mm barrels? the 180gr vld Berger bullets?

I know Nathan Dagley is planning on building the .284 norma, I am looking forward to that! Any HELP would be MUCH apreciated, thanks guys.
The 7mmRUM has the same case as all other RUMS except the 338 RUM which is a little shorter.

Case capacity is about 107grs AVG with most powders.

I have shot 140s and 150s but nothing larger because I wanted flat trajectories,And it delivered.

My 140gr loads were over 3600 ft/sec and the 168 SMKs were 3300+ ft/sec .

The bergers like to be seated close to the lands and the RUMs all have lots of freebore so you
have to single load because they won't fit in the mag.

J E CUSTOM
Old 04-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Rockymt, Sorry to have offended you. This forum is kinda like watching the 6 o'clock news. All you ever hear is a short soundbite edited exactly the way they want you to believe it. I just can't write an essay every time I get on here. In long range hunting for elk I have found the 338 to be the most effective weapon. Most of the 7mm ultramags I did came back for rebarreling because of short barrel life or after the elk hunt they realized a larger, heavier bullet would be better. I still have two and five 7mm stw's. The 7mm's are great calibers and mine shoot very well. There are better choices for long range elk though in my opinion.

I have shot quite a few record class elk with a bow, more than ten booners. Also some with a pistol and many with a rifle. Also through guiding and being in a ton of hunting camps for 40 years have seen hundreds shot with every caliber. My wish is not to offend anyone but to help guys through my vast experience so that hopefully they don't have to spend a fortune like I did to figure out what is best. They can draw from all that experience and do it right the first time. Whole lot cheaper that way. I don't care if nobody listens or cares what I say. All I can do is put it out there and let them decide.

JE wrote about exactly what a 7mm ultra will do and if that is what a guy wants have fun with it. I just said my experience with it. They can get one knowing they may have shortenned barrel life but the ballistics are great. Good luck with your hunting this fall.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

i had a 7rum a few years ago, would spit the 180 Bergers out at 3250. was never pleased with the consistancy, so i built an edge. simply put, i love my 338 and dought i'll ever own another 7mm.

note of disclaimer. i have a 7-08, but it's for the boy when he starts hunting.