Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm Rem Mag ammo through a 7mm Wby Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag ammo through a 7mm Wby Mag

Hate to revive an old thread, but I just talked to my smith, and he has a stainless 7mm Wby take-off sitting around his shop that he could put on my .338 WM, since it won't group at all. Said he'd take care of me on all the truing and labor, bedding, floating, and all that stuff, too, so I should be making a smooth getaway with a top-tier custom rifle for about $600 total investment (rifle, rebarreling, truing, & labor). Scope, rings, bases, and other misc stuff were all sitting around the house, B&C Medalist stock came on the rifle when I bought it used, so all it needs is some action massaging and a new tube. It will be a budget build, for sure, but my smith treats every rifle the same, no matter how cheap or how expensive, so everything should turn out perfect.

Anyway, I have a BUNCH of 7mm RemMag brass sitting around. And plan on using this rifle for hunting whitetails this year, as my main hunting rifle.

The reason for dragging this one from the depths, is that he mentioned that I could fireform 7RM brass to make 7Wby brass for my handloads.

Is it safe to shoot full-power 7RM factory ammo (have a good bit of factory stuff laying around, too), or would I need to load down and use the cream of wheat method, or something like that? That seems to be a really messy pain in the ass, which is why I was wondering about the 7RM in the 7Wby chamber...

Thanks

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Nobody has any experience with this?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

buddy did it in his. Said it was cheaper to buy rem 7mag ammo then 7 wby brass. One shot and it was fireformed perfectly. I dont know what kind of accuracy he got though.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Lloyd! Good to know.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Bronze Member

Check the neck diameter first .
The 7 mm Weatherby chamber neck is tighter than the 7 mm Remington chamber.

see here:

SAAMI | Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute

I would use the Remington brass to make 7 mm Weatherby cases then load and fire form .

Actually I would use Weatherby or Norma cases as they are very high quality.

And I LIKE forming brass,turning necks etc.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

I'll probably just order 100 Norma 7mm Wby brass. It's only about $150 or so from Midway.

I still have my 2 7mm RM's, so I'll just save that brass for them.

Plus I'm really OCD about having correct headstamps.

Quote: