Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

If you are re-barreling a savage, and want to stick with 7mm, go here: gunshack

ER Shaw 7mm (.280) 26" Varmint Contour Stainless Steel

There is a group buy on stainless heavy (varmint contour) 7mm Shaw barrels going on until the end of the month for only $158 (muzzle brake is extra). There are 14 chamber options that you can choose from. I am stepping all of the way up to 7RUM, from my standard rem mag. But if availability of factory ammo is an issue for you, I think the standard rem mag is the way to go.

EDIT: Hmm it looks like link didn't show up properly, so I added a word to the first line that should be enough to get you there.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

If bergers 250grain 338 bullet proves to be as good as I expect it to be, the old 338 win might be a more interesting option than it used to be and have better barrel life and knock down, Just saying.............If I were you and sticking with the 7mm I would run the remmington version. Factory ammo options are rampant in the rem and far easier and cheaper to find. I hate that argument as I never use factory ammo anymore, but to allot of folks it matters. If you reload the remington cartridge already then I would definitely stick with it. I personally do not think 100fps either way matters enough to loose sleep over. That may just be me. Good luck
Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
I personally do not think 100fps either way matters enough to loose sleep over. That may just be me. Good luck
+1, I agree. That's why I'm going straight to the top of the tree on 7mm (RUM). Launching NBT120's at max load, my calculations (based on a 25% increase in powder charge) indicate more than 400fps gain over the standard rem mag (pushing the MV to over 4K). But that would only translate to the real world if the efficiencies were equal. Unfortunately, the 7RUM has a reputation for not being very efficient. I hope to be ready to begin actual testing in 3 to 4 weeks.

P.S. I don't know why everybody says the Berger VLD180's are so great. With the Hornady VLD180's having a BC of .684, THEY are the top of the tree, as far as long range 7mm bullets go.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM

thanks for all the replies i went with the 7mm rem as i already have the reloading stuff the 250 grn bergers for 338 are very interesting and i think i will be picking some up for mine
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
+1, I agree. That's why I'm going straight to the top of the tree on 7mm (RUM). Launching NBT120's at max load, my calculations (based on a 25% increase in powder charge) indicate more than 400fps gain over the standard rem mag (pushing the MV to over 4K). But that would only translate to the real world if the efficiencies were equal. Unfortunately, the 7RUM has a reputation for not being very efficient. I hope to be ready to begin actual testing in 3 to 4 weeks.

P.S. I don't know why everybody says the Berger VLD180's are so great. With the Hornady VLD180's having a BC of .684, THEY are the top of the tree, as far as long range 7mm bullets go.
EDIT: That statement was made, excepting the 200 grainers. The BC of those would obviously beat any 180. But aren't they considered "wildcat", since most 7mm barrels don't have fast enough twist to adequately stabilize them?

There is also a higher performance round in 7, than the RUM, but it is wildcat as well.