Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 AM

7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

i need to rebarrel my savage 7mm rem mag just wondering what your sugestions would be should i stick with the rem mag or go to the wby i am looking at a 26 inch heavy sporter with a brake and looking to shoot 162 gr a maxes to 180 grn bergers thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm rem mag or 7mm wby mag

With the same chambers and throats they are both very similar in performance. The freebore in the wby rifles makes the 7mm wby 100+ fps faster on average than a factory 7mm remington. Remington and others make wby brass now so that cost is the same since you can use 257, 270 or 7mm wby brass. You can actually use 7 rem mag brass in the wby but the necks will be a little short. Actually the 264 and 338 winchesters, 7mm rem mag, 308 norma and 257-7mm wby's to name a few can all be used in a pinch and switched after running through the die you want it to end up as and a little neck trimming. I wouldn't recomend that for best accuracy though.

Basically the main difference is the longer neck on the wby. If you do a wby reamer with the freebore it will be faster than the remington. If they both have the same throat just your prefference really. You or the animal will never realize a difference between the two. I have two of each and my wby's have the freebore so they outperform the remingtons. I have no problem with accuracy in the freebore chambers if they are chambered properly.

Basically you will be happy with either. Performance wise there is just not enough difference to make a difference if both have a standard chamber. Components are much easier to get for the remington so that may make a difference for you.

I guess what I am trying to get at is what is your criteria. If it is performance just get a 7mm STW. Both of these two are so close without the freebore that it is really just your prefference. If you do the standard freebore 7mm wby chamber you bump up near the STW.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 03-19-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

I went through this decision a few years ago for a custom build. The listed loads for the Remington are pretty anemic. If you load both to same pressure, they will be similar in performance. I didn't want to mess with the freebore of the Weatherby so I chose the Remington. I don't regret the decision at all.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I"ll throw in my hat. Performance wise, the Weatherby will win hands down. I am told, but can not prove, that the Weatherby round can be a little fussy to get to shoot. I had a 300 Weatherby in sendero, and had no accuracy issues. As far as the 7 Rem. The brass is readily avail, and typically are easy to get to shoot. The Weatherby brass is made by Norma. It is fairly expensive. For the rem mag, you can buy Norma brass, but it will not be as much as the Weatherby brass. So, when it comes to performance, it as usual it comes with a price. My money would go to the 7 mm Remington mag. They shoot well,brass is more avail, and performance is awesome. I have three, and love them all.
AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLL 7 STW.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

The availability of ammo for the 7mmRM is much better, you can pick it up almost anywhere if needed and brass is readily available and cheaper.
My best friend has a 300 and has trouble with the double radius shoulder collapsing when reloading sometimes and he doesn't care for this, doesn't seem to be a problem with cartridges that do not have a double radius shoulder. Just my 2 cents.
FE
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Gold Member

biggest advantage 7wby holds over the 7rem is in factory ammo. Wby ammo is loaded to higher pressures then 7rem is. Case capacity is very simular and handloaded to the same pressure with the same bullet and powders and theres very little differnce between the two. Factory loaded 7rem has been backed off in pressures over the years as has been loading data for it.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
If it is performance just get a 7mm STW. Both of these two are so close without the freebore that it is really just your prefference. If you do the standard freebore 7mm wby chamber you bump up near the STW.
My feelings exactly!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope