Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm rem. mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm rem. mag.

My 7mm Rem Mag is my go-to gun. Relatively low recoil for the high BC bullets. It's a great round; especially when paired with the Sierra 168gr SMK's.

If the 7mm RM is good enough for the secret service, it's good enough for me.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

nothing wrong with 77's i own quite a few, all have very acceptable accuracy for a hunting rifle. But only one of them would i consider a long range rifle, it's a 25-06 that was done over by a good gunsmith, it's biggest hindrence for ranges over 500, is caliber. I agree with AJ peacock,, get a trigger job done on it... and bed the action... reload... and ... practice...practice.. practice... far more important than caliber is accuracy of your rifle. A tack driving 308 would be far better at long range (over 400 yds) than a 7mm mag that can't hold better than a 11/2" group at 100 yds, as distance increases so does your group size, alot of things come into play over 400 yds, shooting form, controlling your breathing... wind drift... ect... ect... ect.. but the best shooting form in the world aint gonna amount to much if your rifle is throwing wash tub size groups at 800 yds. As noted in my first post I would choose my model 70 300 mag for ultra long range, not because of caliber, but because that rifle is the most accurate gun i own it was done over by a good gunsmith and will shoot tight groups any day of the week. Truth be told most hunting weight sporter weight rifles need some work done before they will shoot accurate enough for reliable long range work. despite what the guy's at hunting camp might say about their" trusty thutty ought six" most factory jobs are 500 yds and less rifles.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM

any of you guys familiar with the timney triggers? i found out that they off adjustable triggers but i'm not to familiar with them. also would it be a good idea to blueprint the action and get the barrel fluted? i mean is it worth the money spent?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I've had a Timney trigger on my Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag for nearly 10years

I wouldn't flute a barrel that is finished, I use barrels that are fluted during manufacturing though.

If your rifle shoots good enough with a good trigger and bedding job, getting the action blueprinted is wasted money in my opinion, especially if you aren't getting a top end barrel/stock etc.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdadiwoowoo View Post
any of you guys familiar with the timney triggers? i found out that they off adjustable triggers but i'm not to familiar with them. also would it be a good idea to blueprint the action and get the barrel fluted? i mean is it worth the money spent?
I realize this thread is old ,But it has been my interest
Lately.Remington 700 7mmRemMag andI have been shooting Timney Trigger is mandatory
At 3/4 of a mile with 165 gr sp factory loads!Amazing Nikon Monarch is a thing of Beauty!,,,,,,