Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm rem. mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:36 AM

7mm rem. mag.

hi anyone have any advice on the 7mm rem. mag. is it a good gun for long range hunting? i'm not looking for comparisons because i own it already just checking to see how good of a caliber it is for distance shooting. i'd appreciate the help.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm rem. mag.

For hunting , my experience tells me it's one of the best, if i were to pick my favorite rifle for long range hunting i would use my 300 mag. Not because it's really all that much better, just like that rifle better, if it were chambered in 7mm mag i'd still use it. My younger brother is one of the best rifle shots i have ever seen, well come to think of it i have a cousin just as good , both use 7mm mags for all there big game hunting, both have made some incredible shots on whitetail and mule deer. growing up we used to shoot every day with 22 cal or whatever and we all became very good shot's. I personally have never shot a deer over 450 yds simply never had the opportunity to. But my brother and my cousin both have shot game way beyond that, out west. Alway's with a 7mm mag. There are guy's on here that will tell you there are better cal. And indeed there are, if you were shooting competition and building one of the specialty rifles... mabye you would look to something else. But for hunting..... trust me , if you do your part, the 7mm mag will never let you down. My cousin Tim and a few other guy's were out west hunting some years ago, and saw a big muley buck on a far ridge, Tim layed down and propped his old rem 700 on his pack and asked.. How far is he? one of the guy's had a lazer good to 800yds ... well he's over 800 was the reply... Tim said i can hit him. Everyone else said.... don't shoot .. he's to far. And for everyone of them other guy's ..he was to far. But when Tims rifle cracked there was a lapse in time as the bullet traveled the distance, the buck lurched forward a few hops and fell over, a 162 grain 7mm mag through the shoulder . what more could ya want?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 AM

thanks. i appreciate the help. i'm kinda depressed right now lol cuz i've seen a few threads where some the guys say a ruger m77 isn't that great of a gun. most said it was because there wasn't much upgrade to do to the gun. i was like damn why couldn't i find this forum before i bought the gun. lmao. of course i don't plan on doing any 1000 yard competitions with the gun or anything of that nature still want to have a gun capable of making long distance shots. i'm a guy it's in our dna lol. thanks again.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Seen my buddy take a nice Mulie at 844 yards with a 280 AI, so I'd say yeah the 7mm is up to the challenge.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Silver Member

The M77 isn't a bad gun, just not easy to customize. Ensure you get the trigger slicked up, and bed the stock. Use good glass and you can shoot 5-600 meters on game if you practice. That's farther than most people really shoot while hunting anyway. And Oh Ya, the 7 Rem Mag is the best all around North American round. Might not want to tackle the big bears with it, but it would work. Ensure you use a well constructed bullet.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
The M77 isn't a bad gun, just not easy to customize. Ensure you get the trigger slicked up, and bed the stock. Use good glass and you can shoot 5-600 meters on game if you practice. That's farther than most people really shoot while hunting anyway. And Oh Ya, the 7 Rem Mag is the best all around North American round. Might not want to tackle the big bears with it, but it would work. Ensure you use a well constructed bullet.
the bullets that i've been using is Rem. Premier® Scirocco™
Bonded 150 gr. haven't shot any custom bullets or anything like that. i've researched alot of bullets and from wat the ballistics say these are one of the better bullets.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

I have 2 of the 'serious' long range calibers that you read about on this board (338 Allen Mag and 338 Edge). If I had to choose only one of my rifles, it would be my 7mm Rem Mag. My longest kill with it is more than 800yds. The 7mm Rem Mag is a fantastic chambering. Don't worry about your Ruger M77, smooth the trigger, bed the action and expect a long range capable rifle (if you do your part). You'll want to reload to get the most from the rifle though, as factory loadings leave a lot of performance on the table.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives