Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7MM Nosler ABLR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

7MM Nosler ABLR

Good day guys I managed to pick a box of 150GR ABLR for my custom 7 SAUM the gun is on a short action so I can only seat out bullets so far , does anyone have anything good to say on these bullets ,how is the accuracy on these bullets . I am really excited to try these bullets out but have saw a lot of negative feed back on them ,and thought I would get some of the guys who have actually used them to chime in here and give me the low down. I have a dummy round made up ,and the longest I can seat is 2.81 . Lets here all the good stories on these bullets.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7MM Nosler ABLR

I would start about 90 or 100 thousandths off the lands. They don't shoot well up close and don't be disappointed with your 100 yard groups, they go to sleep after about 300 yards and seem to group very well from there on out.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I usually site gun in at 200 yards now I was told the big long bullets need time to stabilize so 200 is better than 100 yards , I know I have better groups now at 200 than at 100 for the most part.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

I load them in my 280AI, they like to jump and I have had no trouble getting them to group at 100 yds or at longer distance..the farthest I have shot them is 525 yds but the drops seem to agree with the advertised BC and maybe just a little better..
Old 03-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Well I tried these bullets out in my 7 SAUM, I seated them according to the book , seated them just off the lands no matter where I put them , or what load I tried I could not get them to group at 100yards better than 1.5" , shot them out at 200 yards 1 inch group( not bad for me) , and then I did something I never really do is shoot groups at 300 yards, and still 1 inch group at 300 yards I could not believe how well I could get them to shoot at a distance !!! I am going to try them out at 700 yards this days off to see what the spread is like .
Old 03-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod79 View Post
Well I tried these bullets out in my 7 SAUM, I seated them according to the book , seated them just off the lands no matter where I put them , or what load I tried I could not get them to group at 100yards better than 1.5" , shot them out at 200 yards 1 inch group( not bad for me) , and then I did something I never really do is shoot groups at 300 yards, and still 1 inch group at 300 yards I could not believe how well I could get them to shoot at a distance !!! I am going to try them out at 700 yards this days off to see what the spread is like .
I'll have to try shooting like that. I always just shoot at 100 to zero and then start killing.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

I personally dont think a 7mm 150gn is a long for caliber bullet.
I also dont think a bullet not shooting well at 100 yds is something to be accepted. I have spotted for too many guys shooting 168's and 180's into ragged little holes at 100yds to say that these bullets need time to go to sleep.

I have nothing against testing loads at 2-3 hundred yards, that is a good practice. But i would pay close attention to my reloading practices, chronograph, and bullet run out while working up loads before accepting a bullet not shooting well at 100 yds. Typically after a bullet deviates from its flight plan, it does not return.