Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm Mag Hard Extraction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

7mm Mag Hard Extraction

I have a recently acquired 700 p in 7 mag. I set it up in tactical style, and took it to the range today with a load that has been a accurate load in several other sevens that I have owned. Now I know that every rifle has it's own likes and dislikes, but the rifle fired ok, but On extraction, the bolt would cam open to the top of it's stroke but needed a firm rap to the rear to get it to extract.I didn't shhot many rounds before I decided to investigate this a little further when I get home. The brass was previously fired in another rifle, but was FULL length resized. My thoughts are to reduce oal, and reduce charge bt 10 percent, and possibly start with new brass. May even try some factory stuff just to rule out my own processes. I am a meticulous loader and do not BELEIVE that I did anything wrong, but anything is possible! Anybody ran into this before? This rifle is a pre ProMark trigger model. gun was/ is in immaculate condition, actually believed to be unfired when purchased. Any thoughts.? AIM SMALL! MISS SMALL,
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Mag Hard Extraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stw View Post
Anybody ran into this before?
I've ran into it every time I have tried to share loads among 7mm Remington Mags. I had three of them and they each liked a different load. The load I shoot in the one I have now is too hot for any other 7 mag I've seen.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback and the vote of confidence in my own analogy of the source of my problem. I think it is exactly that, but it is going to drive me nuts til I get to go to the range again. I have been working SO much recently and finally got a day off to smell some burnt nitro, and this is what I got for being so anxious to be able to shoot that I failed to back off a little on the starting load. but that is all that I can think of that would cause that. No other pressure signs were noticed though! Anybody else have any thoughts?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

If you can easily lift the bolt but have difficulty moving it rearward you may have an area where the chamber wall is a bit larger allowing the brass to expand into it. Check your cases and see if there is a shiny area on the body. It could be full circumference or just one place. A full circumference shiny spot just in front of the belt would indicate that the rifle was fired with a super high pressure load which bulged the barrel.

Let us know what you discover.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM
SPONSOR

Is the extraction cam on the bolt handle engaging the extraction cam on the receiver?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Well, after reading some of your replies, it really has me thinking that this rifle may either be going to a smith, or to Big Green. In all honesty, the brass does not have any abnormal looks about it, but then again I have not puT a mic on it either. I will
Do a little experiment this weekend, and if I don't get better results, I will do one of the aforementioned . The brass I fired was fired several times, but was full length resized and trimmed. That load MAY have been warm for THAT rifle. I think I will try some factory stuff first. IF that works, I will rework the load and start with fresh new brass. This one is a first for me and hopefully the last. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
If you can easily lift the bolt but have difficulty moving it rearward you may have an area where the chamber wall is a bit larger allowing the brass to expand into it. Check your cases and see if there is a shiny area on the body. It could be full circumference or just one place. A full circumference shiny spot just in front of the belt would indicate that the rifle was fired with a super high pressure load which bulged the barrel.

Let us know what you discover.
You hit it right on the head, pardon the pun. On a few visits to the range since that first outing, I tried some Hornady superformance 162 SST. They fired OK, and with authority I might add, and they extracted with just a little resistance. After I got home, I noticed on all of the brass, right ahead of the belt there are what appears to be machine marks that look like record grooves. I don't know if time will take this out, or can the chamber be polished out, or does this create other problems. I loaded some 168 Bergers, and 162 A-Max and fired them with about the same results, but they did extract. I was told that I might be able to polish it out using a shotgun swab and either super fine lapping, or JB bore cleaner. Any thoughts? P/S, those 168 bergers shooooot!