Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7MM Mag factory ammo recommendation for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7MM Mag factory ammo recommendation for elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I was just saying that since you reload, and since reloading is ALWAYS more accurate than factory mass produced ammo, why not spend $ 40 on the dies and load for him.

But if he wants good factory ammo, try these...

Nosler Trophy Grade Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Box of

Nosler Custom Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 160 Grain AccuBond Spitzer Box of

The first one I listed (Nosler Trophy Grade) is in stock and available @ Midway. I would highly suggest that he shoot 160gr Nosler Accubond factory loaded ammo, until he is ready to handload, as Bergers tend to be a little more tricky to load for in a generic sense. The Ogive design of the VLD's make them a bit finnicky to load for, and tend to have to be adjusted to find out where your individual rifle likes them, so it is best to hold off on the Berger VLD ammo until he can reload for his rifle, unless he wants to keep getting 1 MOA groups, which is more than plenty good enough to kill a deer out to 500 yards.
As noted in my original post, he shot the 160 NABs before switching to 180 Berger VLDs. Thanks.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I would just stick with the HSM, one inch isn't that bad in a factory rifle and will certainly be minute of elk to 500 yards. You've got a Premium Berger hunting bullet and he seems to not want to let you dial it in better so rock it, unless you can get a Premium Berger 168gr load.
I offered them that in my first post, but apparantly they don't want to reload for it, for some reason...I can tell you one thing, after reloading, there's on 1 reason to buy more factory ammo.....If you run out of brass, and can't find any bags of brass anywhere.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Mark,

I too am a heavier bullet fan, I talked him into the 180s over the 168s last year. BTW, I already told him about the cost on my handloads. He gave me all his spent brass and saving it for him when he finally realize it.

Ed
One $40 set of dies will load him millions of rounds of ammo, and will get him alot further for alot less money than a $50-60 box of 20 rounds will....

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
One $40 set of dies will load him millions of rounds of ammo, and will get him alot further for alot less money than a $50-60 box of 20 rounds will....

Yep, I know what you mean but like I said, he's stubborn.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Buy them for him and tell him Merry F'in Christmas!

I had to do that with another buddy of mine who shoots a .300 Wby Mag. He kept puttin off buying dies for me to reload for him, but he kept complaining about how his gun wouldn't shoot hardly any factory ammo right, so I picked up a set of RCBS dies and about 50 once-fired brass from a local guy for about $50-60 total (dies and brass), and loaded some up for him to try out. He asked how much he owed me, I told him don't worry about it right now, and to shoot the ones I loaded up and let me know which ones shot the best out of his gun. Then once he figured out which ones shot the best, I'd make him a list of what to buy to reproduce those reloads. And then he could pay for his own reloading supplies.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
LOL. Yeah and if he gets an elk with the factory load that may be incurable. Hey whatever works.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Looking forward for any information to pass to him.
My advice to him would be to go to the Federal Ammo website and use their guide to choose his ammo.