Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7mm Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm Mag

There are a lot of good options out there. Savage makes a nice gun, I have always shot Remington's and had really good luck with them. Plus upgrades are easy to come by for them. Winchester makes a good gun. Really depends on what you want, synthetic, wood, heavy or light. The choices will blow your mind. hahaha
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM

Of course - I'm just a savage fan, esp of the Accutrigger.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtix View Post
Of course - I'm just a savage fan, esp of the Accutrigger.
That is a good choice. I am installing a Jewell on my Sendero this weekend. I am pretty excited to see how it feels
Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

My first dedicated big game unit was/is a Ruger 7mag and my latest rock bustin/long range unit just happens to also be a 7mag but in Savage BVSS form
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM

I have had mine since 1970. The barrel may be getting a bit tired but it kills every thing that I hit properly. I have never shot anything over 400lbs with it, but would use it for Elk if necessary. I would not even think of taking on a big bear (read Grizzley/Brown or Polar) with it. Some people use it for Moose as well, but I have larger caliber rifles and would use one (larger)on Elk or anything bigger. That is just my preference, but it is a great all aroung caliber.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
That is a good choice. I am installing a Jewell on my Sendero this weekend. I am pretty excited to see how it feels
You'll really like it when you go out to the range.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Silver Member

Just my 2ct's! 7mm mag!!!! Pretty darn good round!! Been shooting one since 1968(still have it) it's a rem 700,24in barrel. Got two more, one stainless,one mod 700pss, both have 26 in barrels. There are many great rifle's out there, Win,Ruger,Savage,Browning,etc. The 7mm mag is just about good for anything on the North American Continate! I've got other calibers, but the 7mag is just my go two round!! Also fixing to start on a 7/300. Don't need it, just want one!

DT