Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM

7mm Mag

Was curious on the lack of 7mm mag love (discussion). Just don't see it as much as I thought I would.
the research I've done seem to make it a great long range hunting round to the point it is one my very short list for my next gun.
comments appreciated.
thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Mag

It's not there's a shortage of 7mag guy's, but the topics like that tend to get left alone because it almost always turns into a ******* match,

( "I shoot 875 superduper whapembanger and thats better" "your full of @@$R%" "no your full of #$%#" )

Well that's my take on it anyway
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

I have two of them (Browning A-Bolt, and a Custom Mauser) and I love the cartridge. Fast, Efficient, and when you do your part, hard to beat. I've taken many animals with mine, and some at considerable range. But, just like what has been said, Opinions are all personal, and some want to defend their position to the end. Finding your caliber is like finding a wife. Some may just be more desirable to you!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 PM

Ive just been looking at BC charts and the BC + Energy of the 7mm Mag seems really hard to beat.
Should be well suited to take anything in North America- no?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtix View Post
Ive just been looking at BC charts and the BC + Energy of the 7mm Mag seems really hard to beat.
Should be well suited to take anything in North America- no?
It is, I've put more meat in the freezer with the 7mag than all the rest of my rifles combined, that includes my 243 that got handed down to me 30yrs ago. It really is and old friend
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Never shot a 7mm Mag. but in 2008 when I moved up from my .270W after 45 years, I dropped the 7 idea & went straight to what the guides in AK that I had read about in the articles over the years used to do their hunting with. In my logic I concluded that the 7 was more like a 270 on steroids than what I wanted to move up to. I wanted to move up from a hammer to a sledge hammer and the umph from a 7 just was not worth it for a poor boy with one gun mentality. I ordered a Tikka T3 SS Lite 338WM for $575 and met my budget and I will not be undergunned in the USA another time.

If you want any info I used to make up my mind send a PMessage.
7mm Mag is a good gun!
Good luck in your choices.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3-OleMan View Post
Never shot a 7mm Mag. but in 2008 when I moved up from my .270W after 45 years, I dropped the 7 idea & went straight to what the guides in AK that I had read about in the articles over the years used to do their hunting with. In my logic I concluded that the 7 was more like a 270 on steroids than what I wanted to move up to. I wanted to move up from a hammer to a sledge hammer and the umph from a 7 just was not worth it for a poor boy with one gun mentality. I ordered a Tikka T3 SS Lite 338WM for $575 and met my budget and I will not be undergunned in the USA another time.

If you want any info I used to make up my mind send a PMessage.
7mm Mag is a good gun!
Good luck in your choices.
Good info, I can understand that angle and it plays in.
Its a trade off - a little bit better ballistics or a little bit more energy.