Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

ok, last year used the 140 vld orange box .264's, which are sposed to penetrate 4" then rapidly expand, I shot a buck at 567 yards, liver hit, buck ran 1/2 mile, shot another buck at 593, liver hit, buck was found 1.5 miles away.
my nephew shot a doe at 230 yards, bullet hit nothing but meat, bullet never even made it into the chest cavity before it turned to dust

These were fired at 3160 fps MV. not sure its a bullet failure but its the poorest performance I've ever saw.
RR
Old 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
ok, last year used the 140 vld orange box .264's, which are sposed to penetrate 4" then rapidly expand, I shot a buck at 567 yards, liver hit, buck ran 1/2 mile, shot another buck at 593, liver hit, buck was found 1.5 miles away.
my nephew shot a doe at 230 yards, bullet hit nothing but meat, bullet never even made it into the chest cavity before it turned to dust

These were fired at 3160 fps MV. not sure its a bullet failure but its the poorest performance I've ever saw.
RR
I ordinarily would not call a liver only hit deer that ran a half mile or even much more and died poor bullet performance...Not a recipe for a quick kill by any means. Did the bullets pencil on through or did they come apart as Bergers are supposed to?

Now your nephews doe, if a Berger did that then no doubt it did not perform as intended. I would still say that the OP shooting the 168s or 180s as he asked about can not push them fast enough to worry about.

I killed a doe at 50 yards with a 7mm 180gr VLD with a muzzle velocity of 2950, The bullet performance was perfect...if a little graphic.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
I ordinarily would not call a liver only hit deer that ran a half mile or even much more and died poor bullet performance...Not a recipe for a quick kill by any means. Did the bullets pencil on through or did they come apart as Bergers are supposed to?

Now your nephews doe, if a Berger did that then no doubt it did not perform as intended. I would still say that the OP shooting the 168s or 180s as he asked about can not push them fast enough to worry about.

I killed a doe at 50 yards with a 7mm 180gr VLD with a muzzle velocity of 2950, The bullet performance was perfect...if a little graphic.
Both the othrs did basicly the same as the deer in the pic, they did not get inside before turning to dust, the yellow box bergers from what I've saw perform much better in my way of thinking.
RR
Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

The accubond will work out great in your case.
I use it in my 7mm rem mag hunting rifle and have never been disappointed.
I even shot a deer at 30yds and it dropped on the spot.
The bullet penetrated the shoulder and expanded extremely well. Liquified the chest cavity.
You could even use the 140 gr for out to 600yds.
i'm going to give the 140gr e-tip a try and see how it performs.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Bronze Member

The theory of a fragmenting bullet being a good hunting bullet is flawed.

The minimum requirement of a good hunting bullet has got to be a good solid blood trail if something goes wrong with the shot, and a bullet that is designed to fragment has virtually no chance of giving you that.

+1 on the Accubond.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM

I used 140 VLD in a 6.5 and they worked great on everything I shot from 50-300 yards. Same again with 180 VLDs in my 7mm Dakota. Have a think about loading some accubonds for shooting up close and then using the bergers further out
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

Another consideration that is worth while, if you're worried about the bonded bullets being too hard and not opening reliably downrange, is the Nosler Partition.

That is a wonderful bullet, and gives you the benefit of rapid expansion/energy dumping/fragmentation and the momentum to punch an exit wound at both high and low impact velocities.

Only downside is slightly lower BC.

If I had to hunt with one bullet only ... at both close and longer range ... it would be the partition.