Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

All of my following thoughts relate to the hunting of 170-240lb deer (live weight) at distances from 50 yards to 600 yards, with a 7mm RSAUM

When looking at 7mm bullets, there seem to be 2 choices that are far far ahead of everything else when it comes to long range shooting. First the 162 A-Max and then the Berger VLD (in either 168 or 180gr).

As I am looking for hunting bullets the A-Max probably doesn’t fit the bill, especially at close range. But then there is the VLD which advertises itself as a “hunting bullet” that basically explodes after penetrating a short distance…something about that sounds..unreliable?..to me.

Does anyone have much experience with the 7mm VLDs (particularly the 168gr version) ?? I would be curious if others here would recommend them. (for short or long range work...or both)
I’m thinking about reliable performance (stopping power) as my #1 concern, and excessive meat damage as a second thought, but it would be nice to avoid a complete mess.

On the other hand, I’m sure the 160gr Accubond would have great terminal performance, it just gives up so much in terms of energy and drift when you start to get into long distances (compared to the other 2 bullets)

And I had also been looking at the 154gr Hornady Interbond, with its BC nearing that of the Accubond and being 6gr lighter, it should actually out perform the accubond ballistically . . . But the real question is: Would it be too much of a controlled expansion bullet for the deer I hunt? (I want my bullet to leave a good deal of energy in the deer, not just pencil through)
Though I think the Interbond could be one of the first things I try on black bear or caribou.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm Hunting Bullets - a little advice please

you'll have no problems with the accubond to 600 yards, I've taken 29 with the .284 160 at ranges from 307 yards to 1350, all with the same affect, decent wound channel and they exit no matter how much bone they encounter.
accubond exit at 532 yards

accubond exit at 702 yards

the big difference in a good LR bullet and a great one lies beyond 700 yards for the most part.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 06-13-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
the big difference in a good LR bullet and a great one lies beyond 700 yards for the most part.
RR

Agreed
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Don't be afraid of the VLD at close or long range with that caliber. You can't push it fast enough to worry about poor performance with a 7SAUM. The only negative about the VLDs is that in most rifles they need to be jammed to shoot well and that is not always convenient in a hunting rifle.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
Don't be afraid of the VLD at close or long range with that caliber. You can't push it fast enough to worry about poor performance with a 7SAUM. The only negative about the VLDs is that in most rifles they need to be jammed to shoot well and that is not always convenient in a hunting rifle.
I beg to differ, I used 140 6.5 vld's last year with dismal results.
RR
Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I beg to differ, I used 140 6.5 vld's last year with dismal results.
RR
Would you mind elaborating on dismal? I'm curious what the shortcomming was, and weather or not it was also range related.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Would you mind elaborating on dismal? I'm curious what the shortcomming was, and weather or not it was also range related.

I would be too, Berger VLDs are the only bullet I have ever had uniformly good performance from.