Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm bullet on elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7mm bullet on elk

I guess if i were you id consider staying with what worked. Dont judge a bullets performace by one experience. Chances are if there would have been 5 elk out there at that range the one you lost would have been the only one you lost. At that range bullet placement is the trump card. Put a target out at the range you intend to hunt and if those gamekings lays them in there i wouldnt look back. Keep in mind that just a couple years ago sierra bullets were the ones long range shooters measured them all by. My take on it is sure you can go out and buy bullets that cost 3 times more but will they gain you 3 times the performance. Personaly id buy 3 times more sierras and spend that money on good old shooting practice.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhouston78 View Post
The amax shot a cow this year at 640 something and it did great she took a few steps and died, didnt see the bullet. The accubond does great out to 800 and holds up good just not as high of bc.
Just curious, did you not see the bullet cause it passed through or just did not recover yet inside the animal(no exit hole)?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
I guess if i were you id consider staying with what worked. Dont judge a bullets performace by one experience. Chances are if there would have been 5 elk out there at that range the one you lost would have been the only one you lost. At that range bullet placement is the trump card. Put a target out at the range you intend to hunt and if those gamekings lays them in there i wouldnt look back. Keep in mind that just a couple years ago sierra bullets were the ones long range shooters measured them all by. My take on it is sure you can go out and buy bullets that cost 3 times more but will they gain you 3 times the performance. Personaly id buy 3 times more sierras and spend that money on good old shooting practice.
To be clear I have shot the 160 HPBT game kings since '98. I have practiced routinely out to 500 yards. The particular bull that got away was out farther and beyond my confidence range. Bullet placement was the key I am sure. I have recovered the hpbt's on elk past 600 yards and they did not 'explode', they held together. I believe lack of velocity. I think they run around .430BC. I want to build my rifle to be 100% confident to 600yrds and want a better BC. I have almost decided on 175-180grain bullets, but would like input on how bullets perform on elk to help make this descision. 160's have always been enough for me and if something performs well I don't want to be closed minded. I am closed minded about having bullets pass through the animal. I want ALL the energy given to the animal, not the tree behind it.
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

I have had outstanding performance on Elk with the 168 Berger VLD hunting out to 600.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 PM

180 grn berger vld out of my 7mm dakota: ELK> 505yds, 400yds. ORYX 275yds, Bighorn Sheep 350yds. ALL pass thru. Really like the performance on game.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

just keep in mind with elk or something that size you still have to break some pretty good sized bone. I do shoot alot of deer (not elk) at long range. I can get some pretty decent expansion out of seirra prohunters or nos bt at that range out of a mag rifle. Ive found though that i DO LIKE an exit wound. Most times game hit at that distance dont just crumble on the spot. If i have to chase them a bit id much rather have an animal leaking out of two holes! You also have to keep in mind that a bullet that is so fragile it comes apart even at long range can expand enough that combined with low velocity can underpenetrate especialy if it does hit that bone. Im not here trying to convince you to change your mind just giving you something to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
To be clear I have shot the 160 HPBT game kings since '98. I have practiced routinely out to 500 yards. The particular bull that got away was out farther and beyond my confidence range. Bullet placement was the key I am sure. I have recovered the hpbt's on elk past 600 yards and they did not 'explode', they held together. I believe lack of velocity. I think they run around .430BC. I want to build my rifle to be 100% confident to 600yrds and want a better BC. I have almost decided on 175-180grain bullets, but would like input on how bullets perform on elk to help make this descision. 160's have always been enough for me and if something performs well I don't want to be closed minded. I am closed minded about having bullets pass through the animal. I want ALL the energy given to the animal, not the tree behind it.
Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

by the way how has that seirra 160 hp game king bullet performed for you on game. Does it hold together. reason i asked is i just bought a couple boxes of that same bullet to try in my 7mag ruger. Have you tried the 140 version?