I know this horse has been beatin around before but let's do it anyway. I'm going to build a custom/semi-custom 7mm of some kind because I believe it will best fit my needs. I am looking for a 1000yd. hunting rifle to be used 95% for deer and antelope but the other 5% is elk which is why I choose 7mm over a smaller caliber. I like the least amount of felt recoil out of all my rifles and run brakes on all of them. I'm open to any ss action (custom or rem700). I don't want anything longer than 26"+ brake maybe even 25"+ brake? McMillen A5, Manners T2, HS, etc... Good 2lb maybe 1.5lb trigger. 20 moa rail, nightforce 5.5-22.
I want as good as barrel life as possible and I want the round to be efficient. I might rub a few the wrong way here but I'm not big on the idea of a 7rum or stw. Why squeeze every last ounce of a 7mm when it would be more efficient to just go up to a 300? If I'm wrong feel free to set me straight cuz I don't claim to know much. That being said I don't feel I need a 300 either. Great, now I've pissed off the 7mm fans and the 300 fans! The nerve of some people. Please understand I'm just trying to be funny and not trying to offend anyone.
So all that said I'm interested in your thoughts on 7 rem. mag, 7 Dakota
, 7-300win. mag, 7mm sin (can't find any info on this one), 7mm practical, 7saum, 7wsm.
I am going to be learning to reload for this rifle at the same time so I don't know if taking on a wildcat would be wise but with custom dies perhaps a non-issue?
Thanks for reading my rambling and I greatly appreciate your help!