Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

7mm??? Build

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Notthwest MO
Posts: 146
Re: 7mm??? Build

How about a 7-300 Norma. 300 Norma brass is now available. I think that just a little more capacity than the rum. Pretty simple neck down and way better brass than the rum.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dayton, Nevada
Posts: 1,793
Re: 7mm??? Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequent misser View Post
How about a 7-300 Norma. 300 Norma brass is now available. I think that just a little more capacity than the rum. Pretty simple neck down and way better brass than the rum.
It takes the big Lapua/Weatherby sized bolt face that many actions can't comfortably handle.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 155
Re: 7mm??? Build

you sound like you want to build a 7 rum so might as well do it. you might find out what gunsmiths have worked alot with the 7 rum and see if there are any different configurations of throating it that can help extend the life of the throat. I'm not sure what options are available other than the factory style leade (freebore throat). I'm not talking about shortening the free bore but rather the angle of the leade and whatnot... something that may ease the erosion by the hot gases. Also might look into powder options and see if there is credibility that ball powders are easier on throats than coarse stick powders... US869?? Just some thoughts.. BTW I dont shoot long range but my 7 rum has approx 700 rds down the tube and still shoots well as far as groups at 100 from the bench.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 911
Re: 7mm??? Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Please explain.

Most long range rigs are set up as overbore hot rods. Efficiency is not the goal. Heavy bullets at maximum velocity is.
I obviously see things differently. I wouldn't even come close to saying most lrh rigs are overbore hot rods, many are but that's because people think that the "hotrod" is the only way to get out there. Let's take a look at your Edge, or even a Lapua. They are most definitely considered long range rifles capable of delivering massive amounts of energy at great distances but they are by no means a "hotrod" at 2850 fps with the heaviest bullets. You only need to drive the bullet fast enough to capitalize on the ballistic benefits of the bullet you intend to shoot. It's not about how fast we get to the target.

As far as the RUM goes, especially the 7mm RUM, Grit said it perfectly. Tuneability has a lot of merit when it comes to committing a match grade barrel to something you waste half the barrel life on trying to find consistency.

OP, please define your requirements. Why are you opposed to a belt and what are you trying to achieve? How much practical effectiveness do you actually think you will achieve by using 20 extra grains of powder to squeeze out an extra 50 fps over a 7mm/300? There are obviously differing opinions on what the maximum practicality is for a 7mm. If you are going for 1000 yards, which is about the maximum effective range for a 7mm of any type in a hunting situation, any of the 7mm Mags will work. If you need to extend further for hunting, you may as well make the jump to a big 338.

Last edited by brentc; 02-06-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Re: 7mm??? Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I obviously see things differently. I wouldn't even come close to saying most lrh rigs are overbore hot rods, many are but that's because people think that the "hotrod" is the only way to get out there. Let's take a look at your Edge, or even a Lapua. They are most definitely considered long range rifles capable of delivering massive amounts of energy at great distances but they are by no means a "hotrod" at 2850 fps with the heaviest bullets. You only need to drive the bullet fast enough to capitalize on the ballistic benefits of the bullet you intend to shoot. It's not about how fast we get to the target.

As far as the RUM goes, especially the 7mm RUM, Grit said it perfectly. Tuneability has a lot of merit when it comes to committing a match grade barrel to something you waste half the barrel life on trying to find consistency.

OP, please define your requirements. Why are you opposed to a belt and what are you trying to achieve? How much practical effectiveness do you actually think you will achieve by using 20 extra grains of powder to squeeze out an extra 50 fps over a 7mm/300? There are obviously differing opinions on what the maximum practicality is for a 7mm. If you are going for 1000 yards, which is about the maximum effective range for a 7mm of any type in a hunting situation, any of the 7mm Mags will work. If you need to extend further for hunting, you may as well make the jump to a big 338.
^ That is well said.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dayton, Nevada
Posts: 1,793
Re: 7mm??? Build

You're right. Our opinions on long range chamberings are different.

Kirby's style of chambering is what I consider adequate for long range hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 284
Re: 7mm??? Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
You're right. Our opinions on long range chamberings are different.

Kirby's style of chambering is what I consider adequate for long range hunting.
Hey grinder i like your Edge! That's a nice looking rig there. What's the stock? I'd guess Manners, but not certain.... She's looker for sure and i'd guess a shooter too!

I wonder if Kirby would advocate for a "both/and" approach given his "Allen Xpress Wildcat's" and "Allen Magnum Wildcats" line-ups?

I sure wish he or Shawn or some of our other notable gunsmiths would chime in (though i see grit has already).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC