Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm??? Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7mm??? Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
With 33" you can take advantageger case than the 375Ruger.
33" barrel? Either you are really strong, hunt close to the truck , or your a glutton for punishment!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
33" barrel? Either you are really strong, hunt close to the truck , or your a glutton for punishment!
Hey, this is LHR isn't it?

Long range rifles aren't usually built like backpacking/sheep rifles.

My last build was a 32" #7 barrel in 338Edge. It went in a dragbag with backpack straps.

Between the distance I was willing to carry it plus its effective distance, I could get pretty far from the truck.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

IMO If you value barrel life and cartridge efficiency the RUM is not a good choice. There better ways to get what you're wanting.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
IMO If you value barrel life and cartridge efficiency the RUM is not a good choice. There better ways to get what you're wanting.
Please explain.

Most long range rigs are set up as overbore hot rods. Efficiency is not the goal. Heavy bullets at maximum velocity is.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
I would like to know what cartrige can do what the rum can with less powder?
And whats barrel life? 800-1000 rounds? That will last probably my lifetime for this rifle.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I'd do a 7 Dakota, or a 7/300 Dakota for a big 7. Barrel life in the RUM and STW are too short for me.

The short barrel life of the real overbore cartridges is only part of the issue. For starters, they tend to be challenging to tune loads for. Once you do establish a good load the throats are firecracking and eroding way too fast. This means you're constantly tweaking BC's, powder charge, and seating depth to keep your loads shootin' tight. It get's aggravating...

I'll take easy tuneability and consistent accuracy over raw horsepower most of the time. Sometimes..... ya just got to burn some powder! When speed scratches your itch, I'll take the RUM over the STW.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
Hey, this is LHR isn't it?

Long range rifles aren't usually built like backpacking/sheep rifles.

My last build was a 32" #7 barrel in 338Edge. It went in a dragbag with backpack straps.

Between the distance I was willing to carry it plus its effective distance, I could get pretty far from the truck.

my rifle is 10 lbs and has a 26" barrel. I just cant see for the type of mountain hunting and backpacking in carrying a rifle much bigger. I just dont see me carrying a superlight or a super heavy rifle. By the way I was joking with my other comment. I choose to purchase other lightweight/ultralight gear to shave weight but i just wouldnt enjoy using a 15lb rifle. 33" barrel is pretty long to be lugging around even in a pack or what not. If you had to go through any brush it would start to get pretty annoying.