Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7MM Berger Bullet Groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 07:06 PM
SPONSOR

I shoot the 168 VLD and love them... Group extremely well for me in my factory Sendero.

I load 71 grains of Retumbo in my 7mm RM. .010 off the lands

See below....

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 AM
SPONSOR

Assistance with Berger

For those of you who are experiencing difficulties with Berger you should contact Walt Berger directly at bergerltd@aol.com. Walt is very experienced when it comes to dialing rifles in and will be able to help you with your situation.

It is true that certain barrel like certain bullets however you should be able to get the Bergers working at an accuracy level that is acceptable or at least considerably better than some of the accuracy listed on this thread.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Eric,
As you know some barrels just prefer different bullets. While I think Bergers are the best bullets out there, my barrel apparently just doesnt like the heavier bullets, not just the bergers. I want to shoot them so much that I have toyed with the idea of rebarreling in order to do so.
You will not hear me disparaging Bergers 7mm bullets at all, and I appalogize if my post seemed to do so, as that was never my intent. I thought that I had made it clear with the statement about my buddies stock remington shooting a less than 3.5 inch group at 700 yards would make it clear that the bullets have no blame in my situation.
Bergers are my bullet of choice for my .223, .308 and 300WSM. Recently I found that the new lot of 105 6mms shoot lights out in my 6/6.5x47 lapua and bought up 1000 of that lot. Heck they shoot better than lights out they shoot as well as my custom benchrest bullets. My gunsmith and mentor, Don Geraci shoots Bergers exclusively for 600 yd Fclass.
Walt has a great reputation among benchrest shooters, and your actions keeping the public informed on this forum and others that I read has done nothing to damage that. I hope that you and Walt keep up the great work, thanks for your efforts.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

XP Results

I'm shooting a 9 twist XP-100 in 7.21 Lazz and the 168 Bergers are awesome I'm getting 2850 with RL 19 and you can cover 5 shots with a quarter at 100 yd's. they shot as well off the lands as .005 into the lands.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Writers Guild

consider

I am shooting 162gr Amax and 180gr Bergers in a Shilen 9 twist pipe with around 1/2 MOA accuracy. At 1000m, the Bergers have a spooky habit of hammering my target rock.

I am shooting the 162gr Amax at 2950fps and the Bergers at 2850fps.

Jerry
Old 10-29-2007, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

I use the berger 168 gr vld's in my rem 700pss 7 mag with a 26" barrel with 1 in 9.25 twist and they work exceptionally well. I had to do alot of tweeking to make them work and have found that the best depth for my gun is pushing the bullet .004 into the lands and grooves of the barrel. The tightest group that I have gotten to date is .302 and the largest group that I have gotten is .687 at 100 yds(5 shot groups). I use the imr7828ssc with 64.9 grains of powder traveling an average of 3063fps with a ES of 18. I killed a deer this year at 620 yds and had no problem putting it down. I love these bullets and do everything that I can to get them to work in any gun I shoot. I have heard that the retumbo powder is supposed to be really good for the 7 mag's as well, but I have not tried it.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Dear Folks,

At first I was having little problems with the Berger bullets, until I found two important things.

1) Mostly they shoot better when seated into the lands. Not always, but mostly.

2) When working a load up, I don't shoot 100 yards, specially using any of my 300 RUMS, I shoot at 300 yards. Right now I have a load that would make me cry the way it groups at 100 yards, but the same load has grouped under 1/2 MOA at 300 yards, and at longer distances is Awesome. This is with a factory Sendero and LSS.

My advice:

Seat the bullet 0.010" into the lands, start loading at the bottom of the charge, work your way up very carefully. Place your targets at 300 yards, give the bullet enough time to stabilize, specially coming out of a factory barrel that more likely has a bunch of imperfections. I can see a custom barrel doing mighty good at 100 yards, but I don't see it with my factory barrels.

Once you've gotten to a place where you pick a load, you may fine tune by moving the bullet in or out in increments of 0.005".

If that doesn't work, then seat the bullet away from the lands, try 0.015" away and the surroundings, you may try 0.050" away; if all that don't work, get rid of your rifle... Just Kidding!

My back then 14 y/o son, shooting the Remington LSS in 300 RUM and 210 Berger bullets just over 3100 ft/sec. at a big rock at 1385 yards and having very nasty winds gusting up pretty bad, my boy was hitting right around that rock to where it impressed me. When the wind changed direction and got right behind me, William dialed it accordingly and hit the rock to what appeared almost a center hit. I have respect for William and Berger bullets.

I hope this helps.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!