Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm barrel life?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm barrel life?

In your first post you asked for data on any 7mm that would shoot a 160 gr bullet at approx 3000. The 284 win was on that list.

My 284 sporter: 23" barrel SA Ruger M77 tang safety, mag box extended to 3.1"

moly coated 160 gr accubond OAL 3.050" 57 gr of RL-17 velocity 3070 @ 70 degrees

It isn't the flattest trajectory but with a turret it doesn't matter. Recoil with this 7 1/2 lb rifle
is 22 ft/lb. I have done extensive long range shooting out to 550 yds at our range and it is quite accurate. It is fun to shoot and I know the barrel is going to last a long time.

---------------------------------------------------

After telling you all of this I must admit I shoot a turreted 257 weatherby with the 115 Berger out of a 28" barrel for my long range coues wt hunting. We frequently kill from 350 to 550 yds.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Silver Member

I made the mistake of not informing myself about the pitfalls of owning a 7RUM CDL, intending to make it into a long range thumper. I tried several different bullets, and was only ever able to get the 160 gr Accubonds to shoot with any accuracy. 92 gr of Retumbo at just about 3200 fps. It was very flat shooting. I killed an antelope buck, which was walking, at just over 500 yards. I just put the reticle along the top of his back. I tried to get the Berger 180's to shoot, and I went through two boxes before I gave up and went back to the accubonds. The only thing I could think was that the twist rate was too slow. And as luck would have it my over-zealous attempts with the Bergers resulted in a burned out bbl. I tore it off and am going to make a .338 Edge on the action. My advice, if you're ever thinking about a 7RUM is get a GOOD, and LONG, bbl. Make sure the twist is right for the bullet you want to use, and for heaven's sake CLEAN IT OFTEN and don't let it heat up.

Hicks
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

you do not say where you are. whitetailes are not created equal : the ones here are only 60-70 pounds ; the ones in sask are 250+ and cost 7.5k. you do not say what you are building it on. the krieger barrel is a good choice. i would choose a 7mm remmag or a 7wsm. if you want to load lighter you can and the big ones- rum and stw are too much of a good thing. also the 140 berger ,balistic tip cbt are just as flat at the ranges you are talking. i have two 7mms , one has a krieger barrel and it shoots awesome.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I made the mistake of not informing myself about the pitfalls of owning a 7RUM CDL, intending to make it into a long range thumper. I tried several different bullets, and was only ever able to get the 160 gr Accubonds to shoot with any accuracy. 92 gr of Retumbo at just about 3200 fps. It was very flat shooting. I killed an antelope buck, which was walking, at just over 500 yards. I just put the reticle along the top of his back. I tried to get the Berger 180's to shoot, and I went through two boxes before I gave up and went back to the accubonds. The only thing I could think was that the twist rate was too slow. And as luck would have it my over-zealous attempts with the Bergers resulted in a burned out bbl. I tore it off and am going to make a .338 Edge on the action. My advice, if you're ever thinking about a 7RUM is get a GOOD, and LONG, bbl. Make sure the twist is right for the bullet you want to use, and for heaven's sake CLEAN IT OFTEN and don't let it heat up.

Hicks
HICKS - the cdl is one of the more atractive factory rifles in m y opinion. if the bullets were keyholing at 100 yards they were not stabalized and a faster twist is necessary. i shot 180s out factory 700 and winchester barrels no problem the win did not have a break and the 180 kicked too much so i went to 168s for very long range. for 0-600 there is not that much difference between the 140, 168 and 180. as far drop and windage.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
300-500 yard deer with minimal elevation correction. Get a 257 wby shooting 100 grain bullets 3750 fps. You can zero it for minimal elevation adjustment to 500 yards. Nearly point blank but not quite. Most deer will drop in their tracks. Also minimal recoil next to the 7mm's with 160's. It is about the best there is over the counter for this purpose. I have way over a hundred rifles to choose from. Aks my son which is best for your purpose with minimal recoil. He shoots the 257 wby exclusively.
LONG TIME- i don't have a .257 WM YET. i think the mark V accumark would be an awesome rifle for deer and especially for the shots we ge on coues down here. they tend to be a bit long. quite a few of the seriuos hunters in az use them .
Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

Ron, I have two 257 STW's, Two 257 wby's, 257 Gibbs, and 25-06 imp. I use all of them for max point blank range with 100 grain bullets. The 25's are just not good long range rifles because of no high bc bullets. So I load up 100 grain swifts with a .429 bc or 100 grain TTSX's to over 3700 fps and go for a 600 yard deer rifle that shoots extremely flat and knocks deer naked within that range. They are a pleasure to deer hunt with since they do not have the recoil of the larger caliber magnums.

I agree with you the wby accumark 257 wby would be a great choice for this kind of hunting.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
HICKS - the cdl is one of the more atractive factory rifles in m y opinion. if the bullets were keyholing at 100 yards they were not stabalized and a faster twist is necessary. i shot 180s out factory 700 and winchester barrels no problem the win did not have a break and the 180 kicked too much so i went to 168s for very long range. for 0-600 there is not that much difference between the 140, 168 and 180. as far drop and windage.

Yes, agreed. I find that I'm attracted to beautiful guns, elegant and tasteful with little scrolling if any. I have a pristine Auto5 (built in 1937, complete with a CUTTS Comp) that has quite a bit of scrolling but retains that awesome deep Browning bluing.

The CDL was certainly a beauty. I liked it so much that I decided to refinish the stock and plant another action in there, built around a 30" lilja factory contour bbl chambered in 8mm Remington Mag. That is perhaps my favorite sentimental cartridge. I'm going to try to match the satin CDL finish, and I have a set of really pretty rosewood grip cap and forend. Them I'm going to top it with a nice Zeiss Conquest I have.

I called Berger over the 180 affair, and I can't remember the guy's name I talked to, but he said that Remington was famous for stating a twist rate, and having the actual twist vary quite a bit. That one was rated at I think 1 in 9.5 but he said that it could be more like 1 in 10. I never checked it. I got pissed and I just gave up, pulled the bbl off, and started making plans to build a 338 Edge.

Hicks