Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which 7mm???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Which 7mm???

I need help deciding which 7mm to build. I am looking to build an accurate long range hunting rifle, and am stuck between the the 7mm mag, 7mm stw, and possibly the 7mm rum. I currently have a 300 wm, and a 270 Weatherby mag, but this will be my first rifle "build". I already have a Remington LA for the platform. I am planning on using the Berger 168 VLD's because of the high BC's.

My questions/concerns are... Which is going to be the "easiest" to reload and tune, best barrel life, feeding problems (AOL/mag length), etc. I am not worried about kick, I just want a very accurate 800-1000 yard rifle.

Any and all thoughts are welcome...
Old 10-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Which 7mm???

I'm in the exact same shoes.
I've decided on the 7 Rem Mag.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahudler View Post
Which is going to be the "easiest" to reload and tune, best barrel life
7mm Rem Mag. I'm using 72.5gr Retumbo with the 168 VLD.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

I have just done this, I went with the 7mm mag for the following reasons. I didn't want a muzzle break as this will be a bush stalking rifle as well. So 7 mm mag won because of less recoil.
In NZ getting brass for 7mm mag is easier than 7 stw.
7 mm mag easily fits into a long action with projectile seated right out. 7 stw might not fit if you want the projectiles right on/in the lands, as with the VLD projectiles.
My hunting partner already had a 7mm mag.

I am really happy with how it worked out. Here is a link to what I did Re-barrel to 7mm rem mag

Stu.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you have any doubt about the old 7 rem mag and a 168 VLD, here's a video that's been posted before:

YouTube - long range

I discussed this video with the folks at botw when I first saw it and was told that John Burns shot a modified 7STW and the guy with him was using the 7 rem mag. I've also been told that since this video, Mr. Burns has gone back to the 7 rem mag as it is a more "user friendly" caliber.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM

That is excactly what I have been looking at. I researched for some time, and it seems that for the "nominal" gains by the STW, brass and OAL issues are greatly diminished using the 7mm mag.

Does anyone here have an STW that is magazine fed using 168 VLD's? I was thinking that if I went that route, and had the barrel and throat cut for a specific AOL in a longer mag box, that might work out??? It just seems to me so far that everything for the STW and RUM are much harder to find and dial in???
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Hey guys,

I would also like your input on barrel length and contour. This will be a packing rifle, so I dont want it super heavy. What do you think about a fluted heavier barrel to help keep down the weight? Maybe 28" 1:9 twist???

Thanks for all of your help