Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7mm 180 grain Bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Re: 7mm 180 grain Bergers

Annealing bullets?

Here are some of my thoughts on bullets.

1. Full-metal-jacket (solid) bullets penetrate too much, zipping through with minimal tissue damage.

2. Frangible varmint bullets break up quickly. Sometimes this destroys heart/lungs for a quick, clean kill, but sometimes it merely ruins a bunch of meat without reaching the vitals.

3. Soft points (traditional cup-and-core bullets with soft lead cores in thin metal jackets) can mushroom perfectly, break into two or three pieces, or even flatten like a pancake, depending on where they land.

4. Bonded-core bullets usually expand less but retain more mass for deeper penetration.

5. Controlled-expansion bullets—either via internal walls, bonded cores, monolithic cores or combinations—expand 1.5-2X, retain 90 percent or more mass and pass through, even after striking major bones and muscle groups.

What bullets should you use? The ones you believe in. Just understand their limitations and don't expect any to drop game in its tracks every time.

Below is some examples from barnes web site. granted this is lab info but it give you an idea of some accuracy comparisons. this of course if subjective. i have held off the long range hunting for the very reason Bergers, SMKs, Swamp Works, Nosler Custom Competition......on and on...........are match bullets not hunting bullets. In my opinion they are all great for accuracy and competative shooting. However this isnt competition this is hunting. And if your hunting shouldnt you use a hunting bullet. I beleive given time the market will follow suit which they have. FYI Nosler i beleive just announced what i call a Berger Killer..... its the Accubond Long range. And barnes is following suite with the LRX high bc hunting bullets. I love two holes in my animals and in my opinion controlled expansion is best....to each there own.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

You might understand this better than me.

7mm Remington Ultra Magnum Any thoughts?
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
You might understand this better than me.

7mm Remington Ultra Magnum Any thoughts?
yea that guy is full of crap, I thought that's where you got the idea from
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, lots of crap on the net. Good to hear it. That settles that.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

ya that guy is full of it, just as much as Obama.

Scroll down about 1/4 of the way and read from How To. How To Break In a Rifle Barrel

This guy is insane.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/