Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

7LRM vs. 7-375

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 50
7LRM vs. 7-375

My gunsmith has a 7-375 reamer but not the 7LRM that I had my heart set on. Normally I would rent a reamer for him, but that option is not as available here in Canada as it is in the states. He's giving me a great deal on trueing up my remington action and chambering the barrel. This is my first custom. He also said the only real advantage to the 7LRM is that I could buy brass. (Gunwerks) I know the 7LRM has a longer neck since the shoulder is moved back. Is this difference worth not going with the existing reamer my gunsmith has and forming my own brass? Even if I have no dies yet? Would quality of brass be even comparable? Gunwerks has priced their brass quite decently. Seems like a small issue, but I don't know where I would get a reamer that I would only use once with out having to buy one. So, what do you think? 7LRM or 7-375?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,117
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

Why not go with the old tried & true 7mm STW? You can shoot targets at a mile, and game for atleast up to 1,200 yards. Plus, you can still find 8mm RemMag brass, and all you have to do is run it through a 7mm STW FL die and there you have STW brass.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 891
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
My gunsmith has a 7-375 reamer but not the 7LRM that I had my heart set on. Normally I would rent a reamer for him, but that option is not as available here in Canada as it is in the states. He's giving me a great deal on trueing up my remington action and chambering the barrel. This is my first custom. He also said the only real advantage to the 7LRM is that I could buy brass. (Gunwerks) I know the 7LRM has a longer neck since the shoulder is moved back. Is this difference worth not going with the existing reamer my gunsmith has and forming my own brass? Even if I have no dies yet? Would quality of brass be even comparable? Gunwerks has priced their brass quite decently. Seems like a small issue, but I don't know where I would get a reamer that I would only use once with out having to buy one. So, what do you think? 7LRM or 7-375?
If you use the reamer that your gunsmith has, what is your plan to obtain reloading dies? Is it your intention to have custom dies made?

As long as you are OK with buying custom dies, I don't see a problem with the 7-375 Ruger over the 7LRM. You could either fireform Gunwerks brass or buy 375 Ruger brass and neck it down yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tucson Az
Posts: 1,369
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

If you buy the 7 LRM reamer that will be your only major expense. If you want to neck down the 375 case it will take several steps and dies to do so.

I had a box of 375 Ruger brass ever since it first hit the shelves many years ago. I thought it would make a dandy 338, 300 or 7mm. Finally decided to see if I could neck the brass down to 7mm with dies I had on hand. If I couldn't do it successfully with my dies then I wouldn't bother.

Necking down to 338 dia is easy. I had a 338 RCM Hornady FL die set plus a Whidden Bushing/FL sizer for my 338 RCM. The 375 Ruger and both RCMs share the same shoulder diameter and angle.

Steps in reducing the neck to 7mm:

1)338 RCM seater die
2) 338 FL die.
3) 300 RUM FL die to taper mouth of case
4)7 RUM seater die followed by FL to reduce neck dia
5) Whidden 338 RCM bushing die with .312 bushing
6) Open up with K and N mandrel, neck turn to .0135 neck wall thickness
7) Run brass into Whidden 338 RCM bushing die with .310/309 bushing for finalized neck tension

I was fortunate to have the whidden bushing die.

I am still using the whidden bushing die for neck sizing. Purchased a 375 Ruger die set and use the FL die for sizing the body and shoulder.

As you can see there is significant work to be done to get the brass formed to 7mm. It was a fun challenge. Once the formed brass was made I sent one to Dave Kiff and he made me the reamer.

The availability of brass is one of the perks of making the 7mm/375.

If I were to do this today I would just buy the 7 LRM reamer, Hornady's die set and Gunwerk's brass.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-05-2014, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 50
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

I see. Since I have none of the dies now, I would have to purchase and borrow to make the brass. And this could cost me more or the same as just buying the reamer? Plus the headache of trying to make sure all my brass was the same and done right. This is only worth it if I get a kick out of doing this kind of stuff. ( I don't,....yet) don't get me wrong. I do like how this build is progressing so far. The research is fun and I'm learning tons. But when there is a big mystery as to how I'm gonna get brass for the 7-375 it makes me question if it's worth that mess. Buying brass from gunwerks is probably cheaper than buying 375ruger brass and having to get it Down to 7mm, even if I didn't have to get all the dies and someone was willing to make them for me. I would still need to pay them for their time on top of the cost of brass.
But my biggest question is if there is any performance difference between the 7lrm vs. the 7-375. I know the 7lrm has a tiny bit less case capacity and the 375 has a short neck. Are these differences worth noting? Thanks everyone for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 50
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Why not go with the old tried & true 7mm STW? You can shoot targets at a mile, and game for atleast up to 1,200 yards. Plus, you can still find 8mm RemMag brass, and all you have to do is run it through a 7mm STW FL die and there you have STW brass.
I did look into the stw, I just wasn't sure why this was different than the 7RUM? And I like the 7lrm because it loses the belt. Not that there isn't really anything wrong with the belted cases, I just think it makes things a bit easier to hand load with? Again. Still learning about these differences.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,117
Re: 7LRM vs. 7-375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I see. Since I have none of the dies now, I would have to purchase and borrow to make the brass. And this could cost me more or the same as just buying the reamer? Plus the headache of trying to make sure all my brass was the same and done right. This is only worth it if I get a kick out of doing this kind of stuff. ( I don't,....yet) don't get me wrong. I do like how this build is progressing so far. The research is fun and I'm learning tons. But when there is a big mystery as to how I'm gonna get brass for the 7-375 it makes me question if it's worth that mess. Buying brass from gunwerks is probably cheaper than buying 375ruger brass and having to get it Down to 7mm, even if I didn't have to get all the dies and someone was willing to make them for me. I would still need to pay them for their time on top of the cost of brass.
But my biggest question is if there is any performance difference between the 7lrm vs. the 7-375. I know the 7lrm has a tiny bit less case capacity and the 375 has a short neck. Are these differences worth noting? Thanks everyone for the help.
Longer necks usually equivilate to better throat life, which is the first thing to start going on these large magnum calibers. If you torch the throat, the accuracy will gradually become noticeably worse. When it comes to big magnums, wildcats, and shooting them alot, EVERYTHING is worth noting, in my opinion. Make sure you study up and decide on what you truly want before you jump head-first into it. Look at dies and brass availability. which bullet you want to shoot, and it's availability.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC