Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

700 SPS Tactical vs. Model 10 Precision Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: 700 SPS Tactical vs. Model 10 Precision Carbine

I agree about using the bc for bench and bipod/prone use. I bought the LRH for actual hunting. The new accustocks don't have the wedge setup for the recoil lug.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

I think that maybe I mislead the folks about modifying the Savage stock, and need to rectify this. The stocks I reworked were the cheap synthetic stock that Savage used on their cheapest rifles as well as a few others. I also did one differently than the others, and it was better. On that one I ground a long relief in the barrel channel, and epoxied a steel plate under the barrel. Plus the two aluminum arrows. Then went back in there and added clearance for the barrel itself. I also did one with two pieces of 3/16" hydraulic tubing epoxied into the forend.

The Savage stocks with the wedge will work, but you have to learn to make it work. Most guys won't. I was doing them ten years before Savage even thought about it. There's more issues with the rear tang than anything.
gary
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Anytime I hear "aluminum bedding block" or "chassis" I turn and run far away. Would be all well and good if the temp/humidity never changed...
Daniel
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielLudwig View Post
Anytime I hear "aluminum bedding block" or "chassis" I turn and run far away. Would be all well and good if the temp/humidity never changed...
Daniel
Please elaborate...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Aluminum can expand and contract and does so at a different rate than steel which can supposedly change your point of impact. Not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it is a scientific fact, but I have never experienced it. If you do a search on Pillar bedding vs Aluminum bedding, you'll probably get 500 threads and an endless debate. It's a coke vs pepsi sort of argument. We don't need to open up that can of worms. But it will go into more detail about how temperature will effect different material. When I recommended the B&C stock it wasn't due to the fact that it had an Aluminum bedding block. It was because it was a solid stock at a really reasonable price. Whether or not you go with the block, or a pillar system, they both offer you a solid system to screw your action down to, so it is not compressing the stock material. The more serious shooters will tell you they are a good starting point, and you absolutely want to have your stock bedded as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDog View Post
Aluminum can expand and contract and does so at a different rate than steel which can supposedly change your point of impact. Not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it is a scientific fact, but I have never experienced it. If you do a search on Pillar bedding vs Aluminum bedding, you'll probably get 500 threads and an endless debate. It's a coke vs pepsi sort of argument. We don't need to open up that can of worms. But it will go into more detail about how temperature will effect different material. When I recommended the B&C stock it wasn't due to the fact that it had an Aluminum bedding block. It was because it was a solid stock at a really reasonable price. Whether or not you go with the block, or a pillar system, they both offer you a solid system to screw your action down to, so it is not compressing the stock material. The more serious shooters will tell you they are a good starting point, and you absolutely want to have your stock bedded as well.
you are correct! Aluminum has a very high expansion ratio verses steel. I made my wedge assembly from a solid block of 4150 steel, and wired it all out. Afterwards ground the angles flat. For pillars, I always used steel. Never trusted aluminum.
gary
Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDog View Post
I know aluminum expands and contracts, but the fluctuations for it to actually do so to an intense point are extreme temp swings. Wooden stocks are ALOT more susceptive to temp swings and swelling from atmospheric moisture throwing off your POI than anything. I have never had an aluminum bed blocked synthtic stock throw off my POI while hunting...That goes from 16 degrees ambient to about 60 degrees.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.