Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

700 Rem trigger options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM

700 Rem trigger options

I have a new 700 SPS in 300 win mag. I'm not impressed with the new X-mark trigger. Would you take it to a good smith and have it worked or just replace it? What aftermarket trigger do you like and why? The gun will be 90% long shots at coyotes and might go as a back up on elk hunts.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 700 Rem trigger options

Ive worked on remington triggers and tried Shilens, Timney, Rifle Basics, and I have started putting Jewell Triggers on all my custom builds pulls the same every time and you pick the weight of pull not the quality of the trigger help make that choice for you. They are 100.00 more but once you have one you'll want to have one on all your rifles. I charge 230.00 installed but it is money well spent.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

+1 for the Jewell. I bought one from Great Scott Shooters Supply for $215tmd and installed it myself in under 15min. Money well spent. The xmark was alright, but nothing compared to this.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member

+1 for the Jewel. I also like a well tuned older Remington trigger. Just got a Milspec300WM equipped with the Mark X trigger. What a piece of junk! Even if the adjuster screw worked, and brought the weight below 4.5 pounds, the adjuster screw would have probably sliced my finger.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

hit or miss with the X mark trigger I have one on one of my builds and it is clean and crisp at 1-3/4 pounds but then again its completely rebuilt. pretty sure Im gonna change it out to a shilen this summer.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwobble View Post
hit or miss with the X mark trigger
This seems to pretty much sum up the X mark. The one I had on my Sendero, I couldn't get below 3lb, I have heard of guys getting them to 2lb or even a little less, I have heard of guys that can't get them less that 4.5lb. Just kinda depends I guess. With mine, the actual feel of the trigger itself wasn't bad at all, but I desired to set it drastically lower and was never gonna be able to do that without some serious work on the trigger, or buying a Jewell. Well worth the money. With that said, there are a lot of good triggers out there, but I took the advice of many people whose exact words for the most part were "Once you have a Jewell, you'll never put anything else on." I would agree with that at this point. Probably the best upgrade that I think anyone could make to a factory rifle.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have Timneys on every 700 I own, But I have recently had the opportunity to try a couple of jewell triggers and My long range rig is getting a Jewell... Timney is great.. but Jewell is better

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad