Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

700 CDL Freefloat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM

700 CDL Freefloat

Has anyone freefloated a 700cdl barrel and regretted it?

I am debating a freefloat and bed job on a factory stock or finding a synthetic stock with aluminum pillars (Bell and Carlson, HS Precision).
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 700 CDL Freefloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodak View Post
Has anyone freefloated a 700cdl barrel and regretted it?

I am debating a freefloat and bed job on a factory stock or finding a synthetic stock with aluminum pillars (Bell and Carlson, HS Precision).
What caliber is your CDL in? The reason I ask, is that some " thinner barrels" in SOME calibers benefit from having tension on them in the for end, especially some magnums. If it is a non magnum, bedding and floating should be fine.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM

I didn't give too many details on purpose. I've done metrics studies in foreign populations and some of that is spilling into my shooting hobbies.

The rifle shoots 0.8 to 0.6 MOA three shot groups at 100 yards now (handloads at hunting velocities). I can tell the difference between shooting with a bipod and shooting with sandbags in group size and POI. I'm guessing that it has to do something with different pressure points on the forearm.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

ive got a stainless flutted 257 and it responded real well to bedding and floating.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodak View Post
I can tell the difference between shooting with a bipod and shooting with sandbags in group size and POI. I'm guessing that it has to do something with different pressure points on the forearm.
There's not many folks who know about that. Kudos to you for good thinking and reasoning.

I'd just epoxy bed the receiver then free float the barrel such that nothing touches in forward of the receiver; no pad whatsoever under the first inch or so of the barrel. At least 1/16 inch clearance around the barrel; more at the stock's fore end if it bends easily.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM

I put shims between recoil lug and front action screw on my remington sps stainless to test if free float makes any difference - It halved the size of my groups
Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

Normally the only time pressure on the fore end is good is to compensate for poor bedding. Bed it as Bart said and float the barrel.....Rich