Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

700 ADL, long action in 7 RM - convert to 7 WSM (necessitating single shot) ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
PUBLISHER

700 ADL, long action in 7 RM - convert to 7 WSM (necessitating single shot) ??

Why would you need to go single shot with this kind of conversion? (according to a gunsmith of a stock purchaser).

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 700 ADL, long action in 7 RM - convert to 7 WSM (necessitating single shot) ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Why would you need to go single shot with this kind of conversion? (according to a gunsmith of a stock purchaser).
I can't see why it will be an issue. I've done it on a BDL. Don't know why it would be different.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 700 ADL, long action in 7 RM - convert to 7 WSM (necessitating single shot) ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
The WSM is larger in diameter than the 7 RM (Unless he is talking about a RUM) and only the
rails need to be opened a little or a center feed mag box and flat follower could be installed but
this has nothing to do with it being an ADL (No floor metal).

I would like to hear the reason for this . Is this a trick question?

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-26-2010, 03:51 PM
SPONSOR

Why convert to the 7mm WSM at all. 7mm Rem.Mag. is a much more flexible round.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

As I understand it, from the gunsmith, the 7 mm WSM being larger diameter will not reliably feed 100% of the time as it will have a tendency to tip or feed down vice up. This gunsmith's preference is to build single shot when converting a LA to a SA cartridge such as Len has described. I'm in a quandary as my goal had been to have him build to the 7 mm WSM from what I currently have. I'm now of the thought that I need to take a step back and evaluate whetherto convert or stay w/the 7 mm Rem mag.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

I built a 6.5wsm on a long action and it feeds like butter, it can be done. I think some smiths do not like cutting on actions, even feed rails. Talk to a different smith or find a short action if you just are dead set on a WSM. If it weere not for the hassle of having to get FFLs involved I would trade you either a short action or my modified action.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd8722 View Post
As I understand it, from the gunsmith, the 7 mm WSM being larger diameter will not reliably feed 100% of the time as it will have a tendency to tip or feed down vice up. This gunsmith's preference is to build single shot when converting a LA to a SA cartridge such as Len has described. I'm in a quandary as my goal had been to have him build to the 7 mm WSM from what I currently have. I'm now of the thought that I need to take a step back and evaluate whetherto convert or stay w/the 7 mm Rem mag.
Feeding issues can be dealt with by simply going to a center feed mag box and a
flat top follower.

The top lips of the center feed box can be tuned very easy by bending them in or out
to get the desired feeding.

Plus they don't damage the bullet tips at all going straight into the chamber.

The WSMs have allways been problematic when they are staggered feed, and the center
feed is the answer.

J E CUSTOM