Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7 wsm, Coming or Going?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: 7 wsm, Coming or Going?

I would have to agree with len, I think as far as long range gos they have gotten more popular, as for the brass I like to use norma brass ,neck them down and fire form them,just so I can get better brass so you will always have that option
Old 08-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I don't know anyone hunting with a 7 wsm outside the internet, never seen one on the shelves here. It is dead except for certain specialties, the 270 WSM and 300 WSM far over shadow it that I think it just had no chance, it will be around for ever in a 300 WSM parent case.
Not trying to start an argument but I have built quite a few for hunters that don't use the
Internet and know quite a few that have the factory 7 WSMs and would not trade them for
any other cartrige.

I looked very hard at all of the Short Mags and decided on the 7 WSM based on bullet selection,
Brass. and total performance over all the rest. the only other WSM that I have considered is
the 325 WSM because it is a short action in a larger caliber(8mm)It is very close to the Ruger
RCM and the fact that the RCM is .338 cal I would choose it now.

I see no advantage in the 270 WSM because of less case capacity and fewer bullets to chose
from compared to the 7 WSM.

In popularity the 7 WSM is right up there with the 300 rum and ammo sales and brass availability
are a problem so I would say the 7 WSM is far from dead.

This is just my opinion and should not take anything away from the other WSMs.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM

I think it is coming. I think it has recently gained popularity in F-Class. Lots of guys are moving to 7mm wsm from 6.5x284.

Moreover, I just ordered a custom gun in 7mm WSM.

Also, Winchester has at least 3 guns that are chambered in 7mm wsm. New for this year. They should be hitting the shelves in November.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Not trying to start an argument but I have built quite a few for hunters that don't use the
Internet and know quite a few that have the factory 7 WSMs and would not trade them for
any other cartrige.

I looked very hard at all of the Short Mags and decided on the 7 WSM based on bullet selection,
Brass. and total performance over all the rest. the only other WSM that I have considered is
the 325 WSM because it is a short action in a larger caliber(8mm)It is very close to the Ruger
RCM and the fact that the RCM is .338 cal I would choose it now.

I see no advantage in the 270 WSM because of less case capacity and fewer bullets to chose
from compared to the 7 WSM.

In popularity the 7 WSM is right up there with the 300 rum and ammo sales and brass availability
are a problem so I would say the 7 WSM is far from dead.

This is just my opinion and should not take anything away from the other WSMs.

J E CUSTOM
No argument, I was mainly talking my geographical area. Out of four places to buy factory ammo and rifles there is zero 7 WSM rifles or ammo available in my area while ammo and rifles in the 270 WSM and 300 WSM are common and with a good selection.
The .277 bullets have taken a good step forward this year, we now have 3 bullets with a BC .650 or better and there is more work in progress for some more. The 270 WSM is running a .650+BC bullet 100-150fps faster than the 7 WSM will run a similar BC bullet, with better brass selection it's a win win for me, but I'm heavily biased when it comes to 270 vs 7mm One good 270 bullet is worth three 7mm's aint it
I think the 7 WSM will live in some areas due to support with gunsmiths and local stores and is DOA in others for the same reason.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
No argument, I was mainly talking my geographical area. Out of four places to buy factory ammo and rifles there is zero 7 WSM rifles or ammo available in my area while ammo and rifles in the 270 WSM and 300 WSM are common and with a good selection.
The .277 bullets have taken a good step forward this year, we now have 3 bullets with a BC .650 or better and there is more work in progress for some more. The 270 WSM is running a .650+BC bullet 100-150fps faster than the 7 WSM will run a similar BC bullet, with better brass selection it's a win win for me, but I'm heavily biased when it comes to 270 vs 7mm One good 270 bullet is worth three 7mm's aint it
I think the 7 WSM will live in some areas due to support with gunsmiths and local stores and is DOA in others for the same reason.
bigngreen, I too prefer the 270wsm and agree with you on your bullet comment I have both these calibers and both are comparible but I prefer the 270 wsm
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

Is winchester the only company making brass for the 7, i've looked for others but can't find any.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 PM

I think RWS might make some 7mm wsm brass. However, RWS brass is really hard, if not impossible, to get in the US