Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7 wsm or 7 LRM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7 wsm or 7 LRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post

I have 300WSM and 300RUM, if my WSM has no problem throwing 180 class at 3000, can't see why it would be a problem in a 7mm which has a little more powder capacity.
It doesn't work that way. A smaller cal bullet (same weight) in the same case will not make the same velocity as the same weight of a larger cal bullet. It has to do with the with the size/area of the pressure column.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
I thought that was "the powder is within you"

Get what you want: 7WSM, 7LRM, 7RUM. Fast, very fast, OMG fast. Barrel torch, serious barrel torch, ultra barrel torch.

I have 300WSM and 300RUM, if my WSM has no problem throwing 180 class at 3000, can't see why it would be a problem in a 7mm which has a little more powder capacity.

How big a boom do you want to make, how fast do you want your projectile going on impact?
Lol, thats too funny
Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It doesn't work that way. A smaller cal bullet (same weight) in the same case will not make the same velocity as the same weight of a larger cal bullet. It has to do with the with the size/area of the pressure column.
I will add that I also have a 300 RUM and 300 WSM as well as a 7 RM which has more capacity than the 7 WSM. With H4350 I got about 3000 fps with a 180 bullet in my 24" 300 WSM, With IMR 4831, I got about 3000 fps with a 160 bullet in my 24" 7 RM. Same velocity, smaller bullet. Wtih higher performance powders like Retumbo and RL17 I was able to get about 3100 and 3150 with the 160's in the 7. With RL17 in the 300 WSM I was able to get 3200 fps plus with the 180's.

The larger cal allows a greater flow of escaping gasses through the bore which will in turn push a bullet of the same weight faster.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Well since the OP hasn't posted since monday and he only had 7 post we may never heard from him again.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry guys I've been working and haven't had a chance to check in. I'm leaning towards the LRM. I think the LRM seems to be the best of both worlds. I'm slightly concerned with brass availability with the LRM but gunwerks seems to keep a very good supply of it in stock and as of now I can't seem to find any 7wsm brass in stock either. The price I was quoted for the LRM brass was $1.32 per piece which brings it about double the Winchester.
They also quoted me the LRM reamer at $185 and I believe the go gauge was $50. The other option is to have them chamber the rifle for $325. Anyone have in opinions on them doing the chambering?
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

Dude just get a 50BMG...
Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB View Post
Sorry guys I've been working and haven't had a chance to check in. I'm leaning towards the LRM. I think the LRM seems to be the best of both worlds. I'm slightly concerned with brass availability with the LRM but gunwerks seems to keep a very good supply of it in stock and as of now I can't seem to find any 7wsm brass in stock either. The price I was quoted for the LRM brass was $1.32 per piece which brings it about double the Winchester.
They also quoted me the LRM reamer at $185 and I believe the go gauge was $50. The other option is to have them chamber the rifle for $325. Anyone have in opinions on them doing the chambering?
I think they would do as good a job as anyone with their reamer. Are they going to crown it as well?

As I mentioned before, Winchester has discontinued the 7 WSM and they are the only ones making the brass. I would expect it to be rare in the future. If I was going to do a 7 WSM, it would be a 7/300 WSM with Norma brass. I think the LRM brass is going to be much easier to get and although it is more expensive, it's also a higher quality brass.

~ John Quincy Adams