Originally Posted by WTB
Thanks for all the input. So considering the following what do you guys think? Is the LRM worth it or should I just go with the standard WSM?
1. Availability and quality of brass available.
2. LRM brass proprietary to Gunwerks.
3. Cost of Brass triple that of Winchester.
4. Barrel life?
5. Let's assume 300 fps muzzle velocity difference between the two.
1. The Hornady made LRM brass is better quality than the Winchester WSM brass. The Winchester brass is OK, just not great and will probably not last as long as the Hornady especially if you push it hard. A lot of guys opt for the 7/300 WSM cartridge for the better Norma brass. Also, as far as i know, Winchester has discontinued the 7 WSM rifle and they are the only manufacturer of the brass. Not a rosy outlook for future availability.
2. Yes it's proprietary so it is also a little risky, but I think a safe bet with Hornady in the picture.
3. You're going to get more performance even if you load it moderately and have the potential for much better life. You gotta pay to play. If you want guaranteed 3000 fps, it's the LRM. If you're willing to settle for maybe less, then go with the WSM.
4. Load them and shoot them to equal pressures and rates and the WSM will have a little better life. Load the LRM down slightly while still obtaining 3000 fps plus and it will be close in barrel life.
5. I think 300 fps is a stretch. Maybe more like 200-250.