Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7 stw action?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

7 stw action?

Hey guys, say a guy wanted to build an stw with bergers new 195 grain as it's diet. What action would be long enough to hold the rounds in the mag and also eject a loaded round through the ejection port assuming you seated them fairly long and close to the lands? I have a sako 75 stw and the detachable mag is actually longer than a sendero ultra mag magazine but if I try to chase the lands you have to pull the bolt out to remove a loaded round. I don't think a custom reamer is the answer because these long vld's are way too deep in the case when seated to the mag length. Single loading does not bother me but I sure would like to be able to eject a loaded round.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7 stw action?

The Stiller Predators come cut to accept an extended mag box. They also have a slightly elongated ejection port. Stiller also offers a longer action called the Tac338.

You can order similar set ups, to your specs, from Defiance Machine.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Thanks I'll start checking into those
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM

they have mag extenders for the model 700 that would give you a mag length of 3.85 over the standard 3.65. it does take some gunsmithing but would be well worth trying that before spending $1500 on another action
Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284 View Post
Hey guys, say a guy wanted to build an stw with bergers new 195 grain as it's diet. What action would be long enough to hold the rounds in the mag and also eject a loaded round through the ejection port assuming you seated them fairly long and close to the lands? I have a sako 75 stw and the detachable mag is actually longer than a sendero ultra mag magazine but if I try to chase the lands you have to pull the bolt out to remove a loaded round. I don't think a custom reamer is the answer because these long vld's are way too deep in the case when seated to the mag length. Single loading does not bother me but I sure would like to be able to eject a loaded round.
Thanks
Well, first things first. I too have a Sako 75, in 7 mm STW, and two Remington STW's, one is a semi custom, and the other is a factory Sendero. The longest magazine is the Sako. I can load them out to 3.702 OAL, and still fit into the box. However, the Sako , and both of the Remingtons are freebored. I do not know how much, but would not be surprised if it wasn't in the .300-.325 area. Nevertheless, it precludes the ability to engage rifling, and fit into the box. If you have a series V Sako, that is about the longest factory action that I know of. I have been shooting , or have shot Berger VLD's that are 168 grain, and thet shoot just fine. I do think that if you were to load them out to engage the throat, you will not be able to eject a live round, unless you pull the bolt. What caliber is your Sako in? I bought mine Christmas eve, and absolutely love it. So anyway, either action will work, but you will have to pull the bolt to extract a live round. Welcome to the Brotherhood of the 7mm STW.

AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL 7 STW.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

I have a friend that had a Winchester model 70 express SS action in 7stw and it was longer that the regular model 70 LA and handled reloads well with bullets seated out longer. I don't know if it is any longer than a Remington action and I can't remember how long the oal was. The sad thing is that the rifle got stolen and hadn't seen one since to replace it, it would shoot too. I dislike a thief more that anything, probably got sold for a crack rock.
FE
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Wyatt makes extended mag boxes and is pretty well known for them. I have one with my Stiller predator action, I think it is 3.80"