Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7 SAUM with too long of a throat???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7 SAUM with too long of a throat???

For you guys reading this who have not had a similar problem.
This is one of life's lessons we all seam to have to learn the HARD way. This should be part of the discussion you have with your smith BEFORE the rifle is built.
I now buy my own reamer for every rifle I have my smith chamber, then if things don't work right I only have the guy in the mirror to blame.
Good luck
Dave
Old 08-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
For you guys reading this who have not had a similar problem.
This is one of life's lessons we all seam to have to learn the HARD way. This should be part of the discussion you have with your smith BEFORE the rifle is built.

Dave

Even that isn't foolproof.........I had a 7 SAUM built by a well known builder a few years ago and discussed OAL with the builder before sending the barrel and action.......and.......I sent him a sample cartridge with the bullet loaded to the desired OAL along with the action and barrel......... and ........wrote a note reminding him about our OAL discussion and included it in the package with the barrel action and sample cartridge..........he still cut the chamber too long!!!

He ended up installing a Wyatt's extended mag box and making a custom follower at no charge to me...........
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

I thought about this same situation before I started my custom build. I decided to just go with a single shot instead of a repeater. That way I didn't have any constraints for OAL. Most of my buddies have given me some lip about my decision. Can't wait to shut them up on the range. Just one more week till she's dome!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM