Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7 Rem mag brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 01:49 AM

7 Rem mag brass?

Teach me about pros and cons of different brands for reloading for accuracy.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Re: 7 Rem mag brass?

I have tried only Federal, Winchester, and Norma brass. I found the Federal produced good results (accurate, low extreme spread), but the primer pockets became too loose to reload more than a few times. I found the Winchester brass was less consistent and produced less accurate reloads. The Winchester brass also required a lot of trimming.

Then I tried the Norma brass, and I'm done looking around for something better. The brass is expensive (I don't give a crap), but is great. The flash holes are drilled. I measured the water volumes of once fired, and trimmed brass, and they were the best of the bunch. I haven't had to trim the brass since the first time, even after a couple of firings. Norma brass also produced the best results at the range. One thing to note was that the Norma brass in 7mm possess a larger volume, so I had to increase my charges a little to get the same speed as the Federal (about 1 gr of RL-22 in my case) cases.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

I used win, rem brass for a lot of years when I was more concerned with keeping costs down. I was always able to make up some pretty damned accurate loads with em. Now though with time constraints and more irons in the fire, I've come to the conclusion that paying a bit more for brass that comes prepped and weight sorted so that I don't have to worry about those details is worth the extra cost, so now I'm buying Nosler cases. But I have seen indications that I may be getting a bit better accuracy with a given known load also.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

It doesn't really matter. All brass has pros and cons. The win brass will have shallow primer pockets and thinner necks. The rem will have better pockets and necks but will be beat up from transit rather bad. The fed brass is a balance between the two and is usually as good a choice as any.
I shoot all three brands in my 7mmrem, and all work well. Just check your load in each brass before you load a bunch, as neck tension will sometimes affect a load's accuracy.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

The only brass I have tried in my 7mm mag is Winchester. After reading reviews it seemed like the best choice. I am very disapointed in the thin neck. I bought 100 rounds and 1 in 5 split with the first loading! My load is well under max and I have no pressure signs. The brass appears to be weak in the neck and doesn't hold up in my gun.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

I've only run win and rem brass in my 7 mag. Although I've never had a split case with either brand, I'm going to make the call that win brass is the WORST that money can buy. The 3 "strikes" that put it out (as compared to rem) are:

Win brass is less consistent.

Win brass stretches more, requiring more trimming.

Win brass has weak primer pockets, which stretch out to where the primers could fall out, after only a few reloadings.

I am having some trouble understanding exactly what was meant by the reply about rem brass getting beat-up in transit though. Doesn't the poster transport his rounds in cases that encase each individual round with plastic, on all sides?

I'm also having trouble understanding why the higher-volume (thicker sides, I would presume - or is it just that the base runs deeper into the case?) norma cases (meaning they have LESS internal volume) need an additional grain of the exact same powder, to get the same velocity as other brands of cases. I don't currently have any norma brass that I know of. But I'm wondering, is ALL norma brass plated? If so, that may be the reason WHY it is better than other brands of cases, right?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I've only run win and rem brass in my 7 mag. Although I've never had a split case with either brand, I'm going to make the call that win brass is the WORST that money can buy. The 3 "strikes" that put it out (as compared to rem) are:

Win brass is less consistent.

Win brass stretches more, requiring more trimming.

Win brass has weak primer pockets, which stretch out to where the primers could fall out, after only a few reloadings.

I am having some trouble understanding exactly what was meant by the reply about rem brass getting beat-up in transit though. Doesn't the poster transport his rounds in cases that encase each individual round with plastic, on all sides?

I'm also having trouble understanding why the higher-volume (thicker sides, I would presume - or is it just that the base runs deeper into the case?) norma cases (meaning they have LESS internal volume) need an additional grain of the exact same powder, to get the same velocity as other brands of cases. I don't currently have any norma brass that I know of. But I'm wondering, is ALL norma brass plated? If so, that may be the reason WHY it is better than other brands of cases, right?
Rem brass is beat up when you buy it. A lot more than most of the others anyway. You are loading at dangerous pressures if you are having trouble with win brass pockets. I've got around 2000 rounds of it between different calibers, and it's all been good. Most people who hate a certain brass either had one bad bag so they are afraid of it, or they didn't bother to work up the load(their screw up, not the brass) and blew a few primer pockets being unsafe.