Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:40 AM
Silver Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Since Iím leaving for a one-week trip Iíd like to see that someone dedicated, best one of the famous rifle- makers on this site, will pick up the idea building a gun in 7 x 66 Super Express v H! Building a custom long-range hunting rifle round this calibre and promoting it successfully would be the top. Out there are always many people waiting for something new and exciting! Looking at the productís name Super Express it couldnít be that hard advertising for it. Realizing a project like this would just be awesome.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Itís all over the same! If someone dares to show up (also in the internet) with ęcheapĽ equipment almost everyone is looking at that person as something low. Even if itís not that particular bad here in Norway, however you shouldnít show up with a unknown/ cheap brand, gun or even worse scope. That wonít be good for the personal reputation. Iíve to admit that the scope question is affecting me also. IMO it is much more important to have top, expensive optics on top mounts on a maybe cheaper rifle. The rifle can always been tuned up the optics donít.

Now back to the 7ís! I would love to buy a Sendero II, but Iím lefty so thatís no choice. I have a nephew who is seriously starting out with hunting/ shooting, and Iím recommending strongly the Sendero in 7 RM to him. Personally, I might buy a 700 CDL LH and have it tuned by a good gunsmith with custom parts. Fortunately, Remington is still one of the better brands over here with reasonable prices. A Sendero II costs today between 1550 Ė 1850 Euros. Blaser, Sauer and the other known brands start between 2500 Ė 3500 EuroÖ
Blaser and Sauer rifles are nice. I an a huge fan of Remington 700's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Varberger,

I think that some of the reason that many people are disinterested in European calibers is that it is hard enough for us to get our "American" calibers. How difficult would it be to acquire the brass that you mention? Loading data? Etc.? I think that is the main hold up. It is hard enough to get 7 RM brass right now in the States.

I think the caliber you brought up is a very interesting idea though. 7mm, and no belted cartridge. Ballistics similar to the 7 RM. It makes a guy think.
I am sure that I am going to go 7 STW for my next rifle. I love 7mm bullets, and I ave no problem with belted cartridges

Interesting topic. Thank you!

Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

Keep calm all you "special Freds", and bow to the .338!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
Keep calm all you "special Freds", and bow to the .338!
You joke, but that's how it seems sometimes.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Since I’m leaving for a one-week trip I’d like to see that someone dedicated, best one of the famous rifle- makers on this site, will pick up the idea building a gun in 7 x 66 Super Express v H! Building a custom long-range hunting rifle round this calibre and promoting it successfully would be the top. Out there are always many people waiting for something new and exciting! Looking at the product’s name Super Express it couldn’t be that hard advertising for it. Realizing a project like this would just be awesome.
I'm also a huge proponent of the 7mm chamberings. I received my first 7mm Rem Mag (Rem 700 ADL) in the spring of 1983 as a high-school graduation present.

The 7x66 Super Express v Hofe sounds like a great wildcat chambering - especially with a beltless case. However, as mentioned, obtaining the brass cases is most often the greatest challenge. Is the .404 Jeffrey parent case readily available in your European market?

Here in the States, wildcatting is usually done with the more readily available cases/chamberings. That's not *always" true, but is the general practice and for many reasons.

A prime example and relevant to this topic is the 7mm/300 Win mag wildcat. This chambering produces ballistics between the 7mm Rem Mag and the 7mm STW (not unlike your 7x66 SE v Hofe) using readily available 300 Win Mag cases (OK, given the reloading component market of late few things are readily available....).

I'm planning on having a 7mm/300 Win Mag put together as soon as I'm able because I happen to have about 350 new, *same lot number* 300 Win Mag cases just waiting (and NO THEY ARE NOT FOR SALE!!!).

Great topic and excellent discussion thus far!!! That said, I'm also an advocate for the big .338's (think 338 Lapua AI or similar), but in a more strict application well beyond where I'd employ any 7mm.

For me, the faster 7mm's get the nod for my big-game hunting needs from antelope/mule deer up to elk at moderate ranges (400-500 yds).
Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

Speaking of having fun with a 7mm. I got the idea of long throating a 7mm WSM 28Ē Brux barrel to handle the 168 gr Barnes LRX. This bullet is actually longer than the 180 Bergers. With the bullet seated out I was able to pack 77.0 grains of magnum in the case. It ran 3,190 fps which is 3,796 ft lbs which is creeping into 7mm RUM territory but in a short action.