Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

I forgot to say, those capacities seem a bit higher that I am familliar with (in europe, powder IS measured in grains?).

Are those filled-up-to-the-top-of-the-neck H2O capacities?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
LIke was said by e101, the RUM is NOT in another class [other than length], as it would NOT need extra smith-work, due to it's rebated beltless design. And wetherby uses same boltface also, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I really DO like your must-have attitude, when it comes to 7's though.
Thanks for the explanation, my fault! I wasn't precise enough... When I was writing about another class I meant length. Both RUM and Wbys require longer magnum actions and that's not the case with the 7 x 66 SE v H.
A must - have attitude is really nice, but unfortunately are we very restricted in the numbers of firearms that we are allowed to possess... That's the reason why system - rifles like Blaser, Merkel, etc. are so extremely popular over here. No restrictions for the various numbers of barrels, boltheads...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Just downsized this year from a 300 RUM to a 7 RM. Definitely pleased with the performance of the 7. Not to mention the lack of recoil, less cost in components etc... Feels like I gained shootability among other things... call me a wimp I guess . But at 5'11" and 150 lbs I didn't exactly enjoy the 300, especially when weather called for nothing more than a t-shirt for padding .

Wife shoots a 7mm-08... yup it's fun gun

Don't get me wrong, I do admire the things some guys are doing with the "howitzer" .338's etc. Pretty big and bad for sure, but $$ and other factors already mentioned will probably keep me from joining that crowd anytime soon.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I just started calling them that, because on this site, most seem to follow the "bigger is better" mentality when it comes to their guns, and it seems some wouldn't be happy unless they were shooting Howitzers at game.
You gotta watch out for the "more-expensive-is-better" mentality also. Obviously, that one really IS true. But one time in the optics forum, when I asked if a certain brand of scope was any good, the only responders I got were those touting the 3 thousand dollar [german, or whatever] models, jumping all over my ass, totally trashing the "cheap" brand that I had mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty who DO use that brand, but they obviously knew better than to speak up. Needless to say, I learned MY lesson.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I forgot to say, those capacities seem a bit higher that I am familliar with (in europe, powder IS measured in grains?).

Are those filled-up-to-the-top-of-the-neck H2O capacities?
As you could see on the reloading data tables powder is still measured in grains. America makes the rules even today. Yes, the cases are always filled to the top.
However, the volume by H2O capacities in Europe is measured in millilitres, ml. That doesn't matter. For illustration and better understanding, 1 ml is 1 gramm. The rest is converting...
Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
As you could see on the reloading data tables powder is still measured in grains. America makes the rules even today. Yes, the cases are always filled to the top.
However, the volume by H2O capacities in Europe is measured in millilitres, ml. That doesn't matter. For illustration and better understanding, 1 ml is 1 gramm. The rest is converting...
The numbers that I have seen are 73.5 {which I round up to 75} for the RM, and 100 even for the RUM (but I HAVE seen up to 106-108 or so). So I assume they are measured to the-bottom-of-the-neck. OK, I gotta go - this thread has pick up TOO much action now!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You gotta watch out for the "more-expensive-is-better" mentality also. Obviously, that one really IS true. But one time in the optics forum, when I asked if a certain brand of scope was any good, the only responders I got were those touting the 3 thousand dollar [german, or whatever] models, jumping all over my ass, totally trashing the "cheap" brand that I had mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty who DO use that brand, but they obviously knew better than to speak up. Needless to say, I learned MY lesson.
I've had that happen. I shoot a cheap Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 that I swap back and forth from my 7mm STW and my 5R .308 Win, because money is currently not available for another Konus to put on the .308 since it is just a target rifle, the glass is perfectly fine. Is is a S&B or a NF? Hell no...I wish! But will it do better than it's price-range? Sure will. They only cost $350.

Do I have some nice high-end scopes....Yep, but I have more cheap scopes, I'm ashamed to admit. I wish I could afford to outfit my $4,000 rifles with $3,000 scopes, but that'll never happen.

So, trust me, you're not the only one who runs inexpensive scopes on here.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.