Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

For 7 mm enthusiasts

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 328
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Agreed. But his post did sound persuasive as if he was swaying towards a new 7.

As long as there's folks conversatin' about the 7, I'll be there, and it'll be better than silence.

Soon the howitzer crew will be in here telling us the 7's are worthless and you need a cannon to kill anything bigger than a squirrel. You know, it always has to turn into a "bigger is better" conversation on this forum.
The 7's are great and everything but worthless! Great rounds, precise, hard hitting and kind to the shooter.
The Saga of Seven: Another
way of looking at it is that, based on similar recoil levels, you can be shooting either a .308 Win. or a .280 Rem, a .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag, a .300 Win. Mag or a 7mm STW. In all three cases the 7mm produces clearly superior downrange performance in terms of delivered energy and trajectory at any given recoil level. You could say you get more buck for the bang.

Read more: The Saga of Seven
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,416
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
The 7's are great and everything but worthless! Great rounds, precise, hard hitting and kind to the shooter.
The Saga of Seven: Another
way of looking at it is that, based on similar recoil levels, you can be shooting either a .308 Win. or a .280 Rem, a .30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag, a .300 Win. Mag or a 7mm STW. In all three cases the 7mm produces clearly superior downrange performance in terms of delivered energy and trajectory at any given recoil level. You could say you get more buck for the bang.

Read more: The Saga of Seven
Whoa whoa whoa! Don't let the howitzer crew hear you say that....They might all get flustered and come flocking to this thread to disprove you, and call you a liar.

I'm as big a 7mm fan as you are...But I know comments like that in the past have left me in the middle of sh*t-storm outgunned because I was getting ganged up on and nobody else was a 7 fan.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maple Valley, Washington
Posts: 409
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

The 7 X 66 could be interesting. Case length is 2.598” compared to the 7mm RM at 2.5” but with no belt on the case. The 404 Jeffrey requires a bolt face of 0.543”. If they didn’t rebate the case like the RUMs which are 0.534”, you might need a little gunsmith work to fit a “standard” magnum bolt head.

Case capacity in grains of H2O is:
112 grains for the 7mm RUM
97 grains for the 7mm STW
93 grains for the 7mm X 66
82 grains for the 7mm RM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 328
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa! Don't let the howitzer crew hear you say that....They might all get flustered and come flocking to this thread to disprove you, and call you a liar.

I'm as big a 7mm fan as you are...But I know comments like that in the past have left me in the middle of sh*t-storm outgunned because I was getting ganged up on and nobody else was a 7 fan.
«Howitzer crew», what a bl…dy cool name! I’m hunting and shooting actively since 37 years, so I don’t have to proof anything. We also have another hunting culture then in the USA due to distances. As you self I own some “howitzers” too, like 300 WM, 9,3 x62, and I do like them. However, the shootability of the 7’s is far better. If I’m on the range and see people flinching and hardly hitting the paper at 100 m, even if they use soft rounds like 308W, 6,5 x55 I doubt very much that they should be equipped with “howitzers” at all. These guys would lose all their confidence and consequently the game would be tortured. While hunting bigger deer or wild boar at longer distances they should use decent 7’s (maybe braked) and those would serve them perfectly. Since I don’t possess any American 7's I surely will buy both a 7 RM and later on a 7 STW. Must have them!



Jens
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Norway, Buskerud
Posts: 328
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
The 7 X 66 could be interesting. Case length is 2.598” compared to the 7mm RM at 2.5” but with no belt on the case. The 404 Jeffrey requires a bolt face of 0.543”. If they didn’t rebate the case like the RUMs which are 0.534”, you might need a little gunsmith work to fit a “standard” magnum bolt head.

Case capacity in grains of H2O is:
112 grains for the 7mm RUM
97 grains for the 7mm STW
93 grains for the 7mm X 66
82 grains for the 7mm RM.
I know that you can just use standard Mauser actions, Rem 700 or similar for it (literature) without any extra gunsmith work. The Rums, Wbys are in another class again.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Remington County, PA
Posts: 383
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

LIke was said by e101, the RUM is NOT in another class [other than length], as it would NOT need extra smith-work, due to it's rebated beltless design. And wetherby uses same boltface also, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I really DO like your must-have attitude, when it comes to 7's though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,416
Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
«Howitzer crew», what a bl…dy cool name! I’m hunting and shooting actively since 37 years, so I don’t have to proof anything. We also have another hunting culture then in the USA due to distances. As you self I own some “howitzers” too, like 300 WM, 9,3 x62, and I do like them. However, the shootability of the 7’s is far better. If I’m on the range and see people flinching and hardly hitting the paper at 100 m, even if they use soft rounds like 308W, 6,5 x55 I doubt very much that they should be equipped with “howitzers” at all. These guys would lose all their confidence and consequently the game would be tortured. While hunting bigger deer or wild boar at longer distances they should use decent 7’s (maybe braked) and those would serve them perfectly. Since I don’t possess any American 7's I surely will buy both a 7 RM and later on a 7 STW. Must have them!



Jens
I just started calling them that, because on this site, most seem to follow the "bigger is better" mentality when it comes to their guns, and it seems some wouldn't be happy unless they were shooting Howitzers at game.

I own some big bore calibers, and plenty of overbore calibers, myself. I am just not a fan of the larger diameter calibers because I don't really have any need for them. My 7mm STW will do all I need it to. Only reason...And I mean ONLY reason I bought my .338 WinMag was because of how cheap he wanted for it, and I wanted the action & stock it had on it to build another rifle. I don't flinch from recoil at all. All of my rifles are unbraked (except the Browning A-Bolt II 7RM). If I had a brake on some of the others, I probably wouldn't know what to think. LOL

I agree you should get a 7RM & a 7 STW. If you have any spare short-actions laying around a 7mm-08 is a fun one, too.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Spot & Stalk or Ambush For Western Deer?
MOSTLY - Spot & Stalk - 73.62%
1,010 Vote
MOSTLY - Ambush - 26.38%
362 Votes
Total Votes: 1,372
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC