Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but the real producers of single shots you'll find in Europe due to history and market. BTW, I know the Ruger falling block nr.1, a really good gun which I got the opportunity to try once before. But there are Krieghoffs, Merkels, Blasers so on and the super expensive custom rifles from Ferlach in Austria which really count. I've even seen one of your favorite calibres 257 Wby in the "gallery". They are build with so little tolerances that they never change their POI when reassembled. I'm in the beginning of my 50ties and the older you become the more you think about comfort... Could be worth thinking about such a gun. It's no issue reloading them if you're trained and familiar to single shot rifles. As you mentioned once before, that we always try to kill the game by good shot - placement like double lungshot. Normally no second shot is required.
I've shot some Kreighoff and Merkel shotguns back when I was into shooting sporting clays. They make some NICE stuff, that I could never afford. I've never heard of Ferlach before. I'll have to check them out. And yes, .257 Wby is one of my all-time favorites. It's just an excellent caliber for light recoil (for a magnum) and incredible speed and flat trajectory. You get the best of both worlds.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I've shot some Kreighoff and Merkel shotguns back when I was into shooting sporting clays. They make some NICE stuff, that I could never afford. I've never heard of Ferlach before. I'll have to check them out. And yes, .257 Wby is one of my all-time favorites. It's just an excellent caliber for light recoil (for a magnum) and incredible speed and flat trajectory. You get the best of both worlds.
Yes, take a look at the famous manufacturers i Ferlach! It's quite a big number of them, you''ll be astonished. They are the same for single shot rifles what Purdey, H & H etc. are for shotguns. Absolutely worth it.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Really enjoying this thread. Good clean discussion marked me want to get another 7mm. I had a nice Ruger 77 years ago and was looking at the older tang safety and the 3 position 77's this last Sunday at few pawn shops. Would love a sendero as well. Just have to keep eyes open for that deal you can't pass up.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

These days, if you're seriously hunting an original Sendero, or a Sendero SF in a 7mm caliber, you'd better jump on it regardless of price. They're getting hard to find.

I would love to have a Sendero SF in 7mm RemMag as a little brother to my 7mm STW.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I have noticed they are rare and spendy
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
If you find a "low mileage" model, they're worth EVERY penny.

Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemens View Post
They're not only rare and spendy but also only for righthanded! Bad luck for me.
I've to try a 700 CDL or XCR in that case and then upgrade them, or are going to purchase a European model.