Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

So...Back to 7mm talk, since I seemed to have killed the mood in here. I'm not used to that...My posts usually draw the opposite reaction where people start flaming me for saying the 7mm is just as effective as a larger caliber if placed properly...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
well spoken MR.

Unfortunately, in the US (and likely other countries as well) there is a large population of scum-bags who have no ethics and are comprised of an un-teachable attitude (you know that guy - the loud-mouth know-it-all). They're typically lazy, middle-aged males who would take questionable shots and/or participate in out-right game law violation with minimal to no affect on what little conscience they have remaining.
It's true you're going to have slob hunters, poachers and the like, but overall most of the hunting crowd is responsible and "ethical". The others usually get caught or get their ass in a crack somehow. Point being, I don't think we need proficiency laws as a lot of these guys would pass them anyway which is why I think laws like that don't do a lot to solve the problem. Better to convince them, at an early age, not to be low lifes.

All that said, I'm sure the 7 shooters are the best of the lot How's that for getting back on subject?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 10-01-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It's true you're going to have slob hunters, poachers and the like, but overall most of the hunting crowd is responsible and "ethical". The others usually get caught or get their ass in a crack somehow. Point being, I don't think we need proficiency laws as a lot of these guys would pass them anyway which is why I think laws like that don't do a lot to solve the problem. Better to convince them, at an early age, not to be low lifes.

All that said, I'm sure the 7 shooters are the best of the lot How's that for getting back on subject?
Whoa! What's with the sarcasm? Nobody said the 7 shooters were any better. Honestly, I'd give more respect to the LR varmint shooters shooting lightweight bullets at long ranges at small targets. Those guys get big respect from me.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Whoa! What's with the sarcasm? Nobody said the 7 shooters were any better. Honestly, I'd give more respect to the LR varmint shooters shooting lightweight bullets at long ranges at small targets. Those guys get big respect from me.
Just a little humor Mud, no need to get excited

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

I'm looking forward to 3rd elk rifle season here in Colorado with my 7mm RM (Rem 700 ADL from 1983) and am curious to see what affect 160gr Federal/Speer "Deep Curls" makes on a big 'ol elk!

I'll be hunting in/through Aspen glades and some thicker pine/spruce growth so distance won't be much past 200-250yds, but I'm ready for 450-500yd shots if one presents itself. I could go longer, but unless the need arises I don't want to have to carry the quarters much further than that!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Here in the US, those are the morons running our country...

In other countries they do something about their crappy politicians. Here in America we elect crappy ones and then spend 4 years bitching about the bad job they're doing, then idiots re-elect them to finish off the job for another 4 years.

And I am more scared to see what's probably coming next go-round.....That hiddeous bat, Hillary...

Really makes you want to move to Switzerland. Their gun laws are about the same as here.
No, in other countries it's mainly the same than in the US. Seemes that elected politicians are often or almost ever using their positions for their own benefit! The will of the sovereign, the entitled to vote, becomes widely neglected. Switzerland is not only great in terms of their reasonable gunlaws, but also in terms of absolute direct democracy. Every important law -proposal is going the way of what we would call a referendum. All citizens take their individual vote about it every time. That's what I would call an ideal democracy.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I'm looking forward to 3rd elk rifle season here in Colorado with my 7mm RM (Rem 700 ADL from 1983) and am curious to see what affect 160gr Federal/Speer "Deep Curls" makes on a big 'ol elk!

I'll be hunting in/through Aspen glades and some thicker pine/spruce growth so distance won't be much past 200-250yds, but I'm ready for 450-500yd shots if one presents itself. I could go longer, but unless the need arises I don't want to have to carry the quarters much further than that!
Ok, back to hunting and caibres again. I'm also getting pretty excited and looking forward to what my 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip will be doing on moose if I get one.
I almost don't dare to confess here that I'm going to use a 300WM at the first trip. For other hunts it'll be 7 x 65 R with a 175gr Nosler Partition, my main calibre for larger game. Never let me down!