Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
In Scandinavia you'll find many people using 7s like 7 x 57 (R), 7 x 64 (65R) and 7 RM on mooose at all occasions and never have any trouble killing moose, wild boar or deer fast enough and correctly.
I have no doubt the 7RM would kill a moose, but rather at 900yds I wouldn't engage something that large! All in good discussion form, not being critical or questioning the hunter's judgement.

Quote:
That supports our opinion that hunters/ shooters first of all have to train a lot on the range and getting familiar with their guns. In Norway everyone who wants to hunt on larger game has to pass an annual shooting test! For every rifle he or she wants to hunt with. If not... no hunting. Easy as that.
I don't think too many folks from the States would like the additional regulation/requirement - though I agree it is an excellent idea!

Last edited by fmajor; 10-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
There's a member on here that killed a monster moose @ 900-something yards with a 7RM. I can't remember who, but it was huge!
It's possible but probably not something I would try. You would want a double lung shot for sure. At 900 yds, most of the higher BC 7mm bullets are getting close to 1800 fps out of a 7 RM. With the 180 VLD @ 3000 fps MV, the velocity is 1870 fps @ 900 yds @ sea level. It would probably get the job done with a good shot but a little risky with that size animal at that distance.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I don't think too many folks from the States would like the additional regulation/requirement - though I agree it is an excellent idea!
I agree... requiring a shooting test would be considered as over reaching and over governing. It's best left to the judgement of the individual.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmajor View Post
I had no doubt the 7RM would kill a moose, but that at 900yds I wouldn't engage something that large! All in good discussion form, not being critical or the hunter's judgement.

I agree to your statement about distance! Due to European rules I wouldn't personally do more than 300m. Good trained hunters in the USA may of course do longer shots, because I'm respecting what other people like to do. We should never forget about that we are killing animals that feel as much pain as we do.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
In Scandinavia you'll find many people using 7s like 7 x 57 (R), 7 x 64 (65R) and 7 RM on mooose at all occasions and never have any trouble killing moose, wild boar or deer fast enough and correctly. That supports our opinion that hunters/ shooters first of all have to train a lot on the range and getting familiar with their guns. In Norway everyone who wants to hunt on larger game has to pass an annual shooting test! For every rifle he or she wants to hunt with. If not... no hunting. Easy as that.
Shooting test, huh? I know a few hunters here in the states I'd like to give one of those to.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree to your statement about distance! Due to European rules I wouldn't personally do more than 300m. Good trained hunters in the USA may of course do longer shots, because I'm respecting what other people like to do. We should never forget about that we are killing animals that feel as much pain as we do.
Which is exactly why I always try to execute my shots to where they will be as quick and painless as possible for the animal. A good double-lung shot will usually kill a deer in a matter of a couple seconds. I've had them run as far as 50 yards with a solid double-lung from a rifle, but had them run 150 with a double-lung with a bow.

I like my shots to not only be as humane for the animal as possible, but as easy on me as possible, by-way of them not running very far...Unless I've got a 4-wheeler handy, I tend to be lazy and hate dragging them back to the truck. But, if you're gonna do the deed, you accept the responsibility. And in the end, what do we really have left, other than our integrity.

The rest the gov't owns and/or controls...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I agree... requiring a shooting test would be considered as over reaching and over governing. It's best left to the judgement of the individual.
I understand and agree with your point about undesired regulations and over governing. That's something we all suffer of!
Here in Norway this new rule was introduced, because many hunters have not been prepared at all for the hunting seasons and were shooting lousily with all the horrible side effects that can have. It's also about the acceptance of hunting in society ... Since then the results really improved, and most of the guys get at least their guns sighted in correctly.