Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

For 7 mm enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

For 7 mm enthusiasts

This thread should be hopefully an inspiration for the big community of 7mm enthusiasts on this site. Personally, I do have a long experience with the European 284s like the 7 x 57 and 7 x 64 (65R), great rounds. I always wanted a 7 RM badly and still do, but since I’m on this site and reading about the 7 STW on almost daily basis, I’m going to be addicted… Especially, because the round is quite unknown over here.
The same must be surely the case with the 7 x 66 Super Express vom Hofe in the USA. The 7 x 66 SE v H is a beltless magnum and was invented in 1955 by Walter Gehmann. http://www.gehmann.com The “mothercase” is the .404 Jeffrey. It’s a cartridge constructed for the purpose of long-range hunting and a very potent round.The 7 x 66 SE v H is also no common product in Europe either which makes this round extremely exciting.

If requested the interested shooter will find companies like Horneber who delivers ready brass and fab – ammo can be bought at WR (Wolfgang Romey) with Woodleigh bullets. Over here in Europe, it’s no issue to get a chamber reamed for this particular calibre, and surely not in the USA either. Any kind of Mauser action or its relatives like Rem 700, Win, etc. will fit perfectly.
The performance of the 7 x 66 SE v H is told to be between the 7 RM and 7 STW. I doubt that and mean that it could close up to the 7 STW with the right hand loads.
Since there are so many highly experienced guys in reloading on LRH’s site, I thought they might get it done and push the 7 x 66 SE to its limits. I’m thinking f. ex. about the use of slow burning powders in combination with bullets like the Bergers and Accubonds etc.
I’m looking forward to a nice and exciting discussion, and hope that I could contribute something interesting to this great forum.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: For 7 mm enthusiasts

You struck the right chord to evoke a response from me.

I am absolutely a dedicated, die-hard, 7 fan, as far as caliber goes. A year or so ago, I stepped-up my game from the RM that I ran with for about 20 years, to the mighty (404J-based) RUM, and haven't had ANY regrets about it! So obviously, I can't help but recommend going THAT route. But then, it probably isn't for everyone. And I would never dream of trying to take any fanfare away from the STW guys, who are indeed a VERY dedicated bunch! Just for the record, the [also standardized] RM round is also a GREAT round, in my opinion. But then, I do have a propensity for sticking WITH standardized things.

Do you know what the case capacity (in grains, but I guess I can covert mg, or whatever is used in europe) of the 66SE?.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
This thread should be hopefully an inspiration for the big community of 7mm enthusiasts on this site. Personally, I do have a long experience with the European 284s like the 7 x 57 and 7 x 64 (65R), great rounds. I always wanted a 7 RM badly and still do, but since I’m on this site and reading about the 7 STW on almost daily basis, I’m going to be addicted… Especially, because the round is quite unknown over here.
The same must be surely the case with the 7 x 66 Super Express vom Hofe in the USA. The 7 x 66 SE v H is a beltless magnum and was invented in 1955 by Walter Gehmann. http://www.gehmann.com The “mothercase” is the .404 Jeffrey. It’s a cartridge constructed for the purpose of long-range hunting and a very potent round.The 7 x 66 SE v H is also no common product in Europe either which makes this round extremely exciting.

If requested the interested shooter will find companies like Horneber who delivers ready brass and fab – ammo can be bought at WR (Wolfgang Romey) with Woodleigh bullets. Over here in Europe, it’s no issue to get a chamber reamed for this particular calibre, and surely not in the USA either. Any kind of Mauser action or its relatives like Rem 700, Win, etc. will fit perfectly.
The performance of the 7 x 66 SE v H is told to be between the 7 RM and 7 STW. I doubt that and mean that it could close up to the 7 STW with the right hand loads.
Since there are so many highly experienced guys in reloading on LRH’s site, I thought they might get it done and push the 7 x 66 SE to its limits. I’m thinking f. ex. about the use of slow burning powders in combination with bullets like the Bergers and Accubonds etc.
I’m looking forward to a nice and exciting discussion, and hope that I could contribute something interesting to this great forum.
You will love an STW. Midway has several websites for ordering outside the US, and I'm sure you could pick up brass and dies and a chamber reamer there.

I personally think the STW is better than the 7RUM as it is a more efficient caliber. After the STW you sort of hit a wall, called "the point of diminishing returns". Meaning that once you go bigger than the STW will start having detrimental effects like horrible barrel life, severe throat erosion, etc...For very little gains in velocity and energy.

With the RUM you jump up another 15-20 grains of powder just to gain 80-100 fps, but you lose nearly 400 shots of barrel life compared to the STW. I have heard of many guys getting 1200-1500 rounds of an STW barrel with moderate loads and big heavy slower-movin bullets. The fast light bullets with heavy powder charges tend to burn up the throats and barrels alot quicker. I have heard of guys burning out 7RUM barrels in 400-800 shots.

The ONLY advantage I can see to the RUM is it is a beltless case so the brass lasts longer.

To me the disadvantages of the RUM make it a caliber that I have no interest in owning, even though I have am one of the biggest 7mm fans out there.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Silver Member

I don't think heez looking to switch - I made the mistake of thinking that at first, then I edited my reply after I re-read his post.

I believe he just wants to get some 7 "dialog" going. At least there is SOME action happening now.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I don't think heez looking to switch - I made the mistake of thinking that at first, then I edited my reply after I re-read his post.

I believe he just wants to get some 7 "dialog" going. At least there is SOME action happening now.
Agreed. But his post did sound persuasive as if he was swaying towards a new 7.

As long as there's folks conversatin' about the 7, I'll be there, and it'll be better than silence.

Soon the howitzer crew will be in here telling us the 7's are worthless and you need a cannon to kill anything bigger than a squirrel. You know, it always has to turn into a "bigger is better" conversation on this forum.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for your answer and shown interest. The purpose is clearly long range hunting, the round was created for hunting in the Alpes for distances up to 400m and beyond that. Mainly red deer and Gams.
First of all, the case volume is completely powder filled 6,038 cm3. A 28' bbl is strongly recommended for the best perfomance. In literature the authors recommend Hodgdon 4831 for bullet weights between 150 - 175 gr. The same with Norma MRP, but they didn't know about H 1000 and RL 17 than! For reloading take a look into Rottweil's (RWS) reloading manual and also go and visit this site! Down to the bottom of the pdf
www.jww.de/.../028_031_wiederladen_0107.pdf‎ you'll find ready reloading datatables in grains. One of the best companies for reloading equipment in Europe, Triebel, has also got an extra site for the 7 x 66 SE v H. Triebel Online Shop. Enjoy yourself, and I hope I could give you some good advice.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post

No, not only a good dialogue which could be alone a fine purpose! Look at my answer, so you''ll see that Im serious.

Jens