Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

7.62x39 soft points that expand???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

7.62x39 soft points that expand???

Do to circumstances that I don't like, going to be forced to carry the AK47 in the truck and on the tractor at all times in the field....Does anybody have any experience with soft points in the steel cased stuff that actually expands? Most of the stuff that I've looked at are bi-metal bullet construction, know the steel jacketed will penetrate quite well. Wonder if there's any chance of something that will behave like true soft points, S&B, Prvi Part?? Really don't want to carry 60 rds of Hornady or name brand ammo unless absolutely necessary just because of the cost factor. Shooting a couple of the bi-metal hollow points into cedar trees doesn't look like they expand enough to show. Could use any experience that anybody has and willing to share
Old 08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: 7.62x39 soft points that expand???

I personally would recommend hornady steel cased v-max or winchester supper X if I was loosing sleep over expansion but............wolf hp rounds will typically shed there jacket and mushroom there core often giving two wound channels side by side after a few inches of close range penetration. With in it's practical range of 200+/- yards the cartridge does ok on thin skinned animals. Just like anything if you want the absolutely best performance it will cost more. What are you expecting to be targeting? Wolves, lions, tigers, bears, Zombie hordes ?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7.62x39 soft points that expand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseman View Post
Do to circumstances that I don't like, going to be forced to carry the AK47 in the truck and on the tractor at all times in the field....Does anybody have any experience with soft points in the steel cased stuff that actually expands? Most of the stuff that I've looked at are bi-metal bullet construction, know the steel jacketed will penetrate quite well. Wonder if there's any chance of something that will behave like true soft points, S&B, Prvi Part?? Really don't want to carry 60 rds of Hornady or name brand ammo unless absolutely necessary just because of the cost factor. Shooting a couple of the bi-metal hollow points into cedar trees doesn't look like they expand enough to show. Could use any experience that anybody has and willing to share
I had very good luck with prvi partizan, but it is getting hard to find for some reason.

J E CUSTOM