Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

7/08 & 120gr ballistic tips for black bear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

7/08 & 120gr ballistic tips for black bear?

I know the question of the toughness of the 120 grain ballistic tip has been beaten to death around here but i am curious if anybody has any experience with the 7/08 and this bullet on black bear? They are really accurate out of my T3 and i am not afraid to use them for deer at all but i am trying to put together a bullet combo for Deer/Black Bear for here in PA. I know accubonds and partitions would be a better choice but i am curious if the 120 could get it done. I know J E Custom has alot of experience with this bullet so if you read this i would appreciate your input as well.

Last edited by motown; 06-20-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7/08 & 120gr ballistic tips for black bear?

I would go with a heavier bullet like the Berger 168 or 180 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
I know the question of the toughness of the 120 grain ballistic tip has been beaten to death around here but i am curious if anybody has any experience with the 7/08 and this bullet on black bear? They are really accurate out of my T3 and i am not afraid to use them for deer at all but i am trying to put together a bullet combo for Deer/Black Bear for here in PA. I know accubonds and partitions would be a better choice but i am curious if the 120 could get it done. I know J E Custom has alot of experience with this bullet so if you read this i would appreciate your input as well.

After seeing what they will do on 3 to 400 pound Hog I would have no problem using them for Black bear.

Black bear are no where near as tough as big hogs and not as dangerous. If a black bear and a wild boar of the same weight were to square off , My money would be on the hog.

The best thing I can tell you is to shoot one with the 120 and there will be no doubt what it will do.

Bigger /heaver bullets don't seem to have the same stopping power at the 7/08 velocities as the 120
does even though current thinking is that bigger is better. The 120- 7/08 combo seems to be the exception and defies
all logic.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

I would have figured the 168 would be like putting a 210 VLD in a .308 Win....HP is lower, but the torque is off the charts...Since their based on the same case.

But I could be wrong...It was just a guess.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

JE thanks thats the answer i was hoping for! Just curious do you have any experience with the 120 on elk at all?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

120s should be fine. My wife shoots the 140 accubond and ct Silvertips out of her T3 with crazy accuracy in front of 43g Varget. The moose she shot didn't care for the load!
Ben
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

about any load that works on deer will work on black bear. Ive shot deer with them out of the 7mag and 280 and they preformed better then i would have guessed. I wouldnt be a bit afraid to put one in a 300lb black bear.