Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Is the 6mmXC all that it's made out to be.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is the 6mmXC all that it's made out to be.

King Richard is the one who started using the dasher in 2001 and has more experience and wins with it than anyone except for Dan Dowling. As far as internet na he a good friend.

Ten world records and 3 two gun national championships is what I look at. Of course everyone is an expert.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
SPONSOR

To quote Dennis Miller; I kinda' got a bit of a problem with a profit who thinks he needs to profit from being a profit.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Funny Quote coming from a Gunsmith.

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Tubbs also states that the 6xc prolongs barrel life because of the longer neck. Based on that statement, out would seem that the 6mm Remington would outlast the .243 win. because it's case neck is more than 30% longer.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhardle View Post
Tubbs also states that the 6xc prolongs barrel life because of the longer neck. Based on that statement, out would seem that the 6mm Remington would outlast the .243 win. because it's case neck is more than 30% longer.
I never paid all that much attention to the necks and the 6XC, but do shoot the 6/250AI. Now my necks come out to slightly over .230" long due to case shrinkage, and I use .243 brass as 22-250 brass would be even worse shrinkage. But on the otherhand you won't see much shrinkage with the 6XC as your not moving brass around all that much. With that in mind I figure your getting about a .25" neck length at the max. Now the shoulder angle is a little shallow at 28 degrees, but it's close enough to 30 degrees anyway. I'd rather seen 35 degrees. The vortex of the flame is right near the lip of the case. That's not so hot, and really not a lot better than the standard .243 Winchester. Even the Ackley case is a little too short with a 40 degree shoulder and a .23" neck length (the other neck figures out to be .248"). You really need a .32" or longer neck for good barrel life. I doubt my 6/250AI will go much beyond 1250 rounds, and I'd think the 6XC will be about 75% of that figure.
gary
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

I went through the same thing a few months back between the 6XC and 6mm Creedmoor. I ended up going with the 6mm Creedmoor. They were both neck and neck for me. Still waiting for the rifle and will post the results when I get it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

I am not a benchrest shooter but the cartridge did draw my interest when Gunwerks put it in their lineup for LR hunting rifles. Currently I have a hunting rifle on order from G A Precision in 6XC. I am patiently waiting. When it gets here and I put it in the field for deer etc: you will know because there will be an article posted on this site with my findings.