Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Is the 6mmXC all that it's made out to be.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is the 6mmXC all that it's made out to be.

either way you decide to make case (neck up or neck down) is really not much of a chore. We're only looking at .020" total.
gary
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Here something on the 6 Dasher

Sam Hall's Monster Dasher

Here is another rifle

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek073.html
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I was taught this summer how to make good brass for the dasher by "King Richard". We formed(cream of wheat method) 600 this summer in between myself and a buddy and we lost maybe 5. We competed at local varmint matches loosing of course to Richard with his dasher, but that is to be expected. Love that itty bitty caliber and it still amazes me what it is capable of.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
SPONSOR

The cartridges mentioned are all fine rounds. I own a XC and a Dasher. Both are made with quality components. As long as a human being is involved I'd be real hesitant to claim one is "more accurate" than the other. There's no 'free lunch' with either. Fire form one, a bit shorter barrel life with the other (I solved this problem of shortened barrel life by having the barrels on rifles I build for myself Melonite/Blk. Nitrided). The XC feeds immediately and without a 'hitch' from any magazine designed for the .308, that I've tried. Including the factory Rem., H-S Precision, and ACI. I can't say that about the Dasher. It took some thinkin' and experimenting to make it feed reliably from ACI mags. For F Class, ACTC or varmint hunting, if I was building for myself, I choose the XC or the 6 x 47mm L. because of the ease of feeding factor. If it was a single shot bench rifle I'd probably go with the Dasher. No one rifle/cartridge combination should be expected to "do it all"! I hear that alot, these days,,,,,, "want a rifle I can shoot bench rest, varmint hunt with, shoot F class matches with, and take deer and antelope hunting". Those words usually flow from someone with very little shooting experience.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Shortgrass try a plain old staggerfeed remington bottom metal and put the dasher round in the middle of the magazine. Just another one of "King Richard" pearls of wisdom for the 6 dasher.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM
SPONSOR

Trouble is my customer wanted ACI detachable mags. Required a block to keep the rounds from sliding back. "King Richards" pearls, well , they might be for someone who hasn't the experience with feed problems and alterations,, but that was part of the curriculum 20+ years ago when I went to'smithing school. I generally find my own way and apply common sense to finding solutuions rather than turning to the interdnet.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
The cartridges mentioned are all fine rounds. I own a XC and a Dasher. Both are made with quality components. As long as a human being is involved I'd be real hesitant to claim one is "more accurate" than the other. There's no 'free lunch' with either. Fire form one, a bit shorter barrel life with the other (I solved this problem of shortened barrel life by having the barrels on rifles I build for myself Melonite/Blk. Nitrided). The XC feeds immediately and without a 'hitch' from any magazine designed for the .308, that I've tried. Including the factory Rem., H-S Precision, and ACI. I can't say that about the Dasher. It took some thinkin' and experimenting to make it feed reliably from ACI mags. For F Class, ACTC or varmint hunting, if I was building for myself, I choose the XC or the 6 x 47mm L. because of the ease of feeding factor. If it was a single shot bench rifle I'd probably go with the Dasher. No one rifle/cartridge combination should be expected to "do it all"! I hear that alot, these days,,,,,, "want a rifle I can shoot bench rest, varmint hunt with, shoot F class matches with, and take deer and antelope hunting". Those words usually flow from someone with very little shooting experience.
While I won't shoot short range BR with this cartridge I do feel it will do the rest, I'm nearing completion on a 7 SAUM, Stiller action, Varmint contour barrel, Braked and easily changed from Greybull stock to a 3" Benchrest stock.