Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6mm re-barrel brand,length and barrel twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

6mm re-barrel brand,length and barrel twist

I have a custom rifle in 243 win built on a Ruger M77 short action with a thumbhole stock. I am considering rebarreling the rifle to a 6mm rem set up for 105gr Berger or A-max bullets. I am thinking of going with a 23" Mcgowan #4 fluted barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and having it cryoaccurized. I want to be able to get 3000fps with these bullets to shoot long range varmints and possibly antelope.

Any recommendations if I'm on the right track as to twist, barrel length, or barrel brand? I will be very particular about the accuracy of this rifle.

Also will the short action Ruger be able to handle the long bullets with adequate seating depth? I've shot 95gr Bergers in the 243 and had no trouble with adequate magazine length.

Thanks for your advice, Heath
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6mm re-barrel brand,length and barrel twist

If you want to shoot 105 gr. bullets in an 8 twist, the first thing that comes to my mind would be the 6BR for which factory ammo is now available, or the 6mmXC, or any of the many other derivatives, which you can find here:

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

I don't know anything about the McGowen barrel, but you can't go wrong with a Shilen. Cost would be about the same. Tell your gunsmith what bullet you want to shoot and how deep you want to seat the bullets and he will be able to chamber it to fit your specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
I have a custom rifle in 243 win built on a Ruger M77 short action with a thumbhole stock. I am considering rebarreling the rifle to a 6mm rem set up for 105gr Berger or A-max bullets. I am thinking of going with a 23" Mcgowan #4 fluted barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and having it cryoaccurized. I want to be able to get 3000fps with these bullets to shoot long range varmints and possibly antelope.

Any recommendations if I'm on the right track as to twist, barrel length, or barrel brand? I will be very particular about the accuracy of this rifle.

Also will the short action Ruger be able to handle the long bullets with adequate seating depth? I've shot 95gr Bergers in the 243 and had no trouble with adequate magazine length.

Thanks for your advice, Heath
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 AM
SPONSOR

Main issue will be the magazine. You have the rifle , so you can measure that mag length yourself. With a ruler is good enough as if you fill a mag to max length it , most likely, won't feed. Why limit yourself to a 23" long barrel if you're looking for max velocities?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

first I'd get a better barrel blank. I'd just order in a good Shilen or Pacnor and be done with that part. Secondly don't hooked into the 26" and longer tuning forks when using smaller capacity cases. A 6BR is just fine with a 22" or 23" barrel. Another one that fits right into your action length is the 6XC and of course the 6/250AI. The 6BR is the most efficent of the three, and will have a greater throat and barrel life. But they also have some feeding problems out of some rifles (can't say much about the Ruger). Now if you just gotta shoot those 105 grain bullets in any of these rounds your gonna want a 1:8 twist barrel. But if it were me I'd either go with a 6BRX or better yet a 6HLS.
gary
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

I own a 6mm Rem and couldn't be more happy with it. However, If I were building a new .243 caliber I would also consider a 243 Ackley Improved. You can shoot the factory ammunition and then you will have fire formed cases to reload with. This has to be one of the best small bore options available in my humble opinion. Like I said. I do really enjoy my 6mm and you can find brass for it pretty easily. The choice is yours. I would check into the availability of brass and the reloading tooling to make it happen. the 6mm rem Ackley is a neat little cartridge also. Good Luck and have fun. Most of the bullet manufacturers will have a recommended twist rate for their bullets. If its not listed don't hesitate to call them. Also I would not recommend that you build a rifle to one specific bullet. If for some reason you gun doesn't like it you are dead in the water. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

+1 for the 6mm ackley, I re-barreled my .243 to .243 ackley then to 6mm ackle & I would do it again without hesitation. I find myself shooting it more than my 6mm-284 while not quite as fast, it's every bit as accurate at the ranges i've played with.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
I own a 6mm Rem and couldn't be more happy with it. However, If I were building a new .243 caliber I would also consider a 243 Ackley Improved. You can shoot the factory ammunition and then you will have fire formed cases to reload with. This has to be one of the best small bore options available in my humble opinion. Like I said. I do really enjoy my 6mm and you can find brass for it pretty easily. The choice is yours. I would check into the availability of brass and the reloading tooling to make it happen. the 6mm rem Ackley is a neat little cartridge also. Good Luck and have fun. Most of the bullet manufacturers will have a recommended twist rate for their bullets. If its not listed don't hesitate to call them. Also I would not recommend that you build a rifle to one specific bullet. If for some reason you gun doesn't like it you are dead in the water. Just something to keep in mind.
the .243 has a poor neck design, and this causes problems with very light bullets as well as very long bullets. As long as you stay in the 80 to 95 grain range your fine. A 6mm Ackley will also allow you to use factory ammo. You can also ream the chamber a little short (with a 6mm Rem. reamer), and get several wildcats that really shoot well. I like the 6mm HLS, and the 6/250AI, but the HLS is the better of the two.

If you going to shoot big long VLD's, then you need at least a 1:8 twist barrel with a one & one half degree throat that's very short. I shoot VLD's and Amax bullets out of my 6/250ai at about 3000 fps for .270" groups
gary