Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which 6mm in long action Remington 700? Quality Brass is issue...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Which 6mm in long action Remington 700? Quality Brass is issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Every factory 6mm Remington I've seen was a short action. I've owned several of them and the thing I don't like about them is they are too long for a short action and too short for a long action. To me it is one of the least desirable cartridges made.
Also not aware of any long action factory rifles in 6mm Rem. In handloaded form, its best in a long action receiver but from the factory, it was always chambered in a short action to the best of my knowledge.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Was factory ammo availability a requirement. I missed that if it was, sorry!
I don't think it was a requirement, just a strong desire.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
I don't think it was a requirement, just a strong desire.
10-4,

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
... I would recommend the 6-06. While its a bit higher performance level then the 6mm-284, it feeds MUCH better and has many more options in brass.

Kirby, it was my understanding that the 6-06 & 6-284 shared nearly exact case capacity. What is your performance experience with the 105-107 grainers in the '06 case?

You're right about feeding. My x284 feeds from the HS long action DBM, it's a little klunky, reliable but doesn't have the "smooth as glass" feeling if that makes sense.

t

Old 12-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Kirby, it was my understanding that the 6-06 & 6-284 shared nearly exact case capacity. What is your performance experience with the 105-107 grainers in the '06 case?

You're right about feeding. My x284 feeds from the HS long action DBM, it's a little klunky, reliable but doesn't have the "smooth as glass" feeling if that makes sense.

t
If the 6-284 is loaded so the bullets are seated to the base of the case neck, YES, they are very similar in case capacity. In reality, the 06 has a slight edge in capacity so all else being equal, the 6-06 will produce a bit more velocity with same length barrels but very close.

Main advantage with the 6-06 is that it feeds like its not even there, smooth as butter. That CAN NOT be said for the 6-284, especially if using a staggered feed mag box design such as the standard Rem 700.

Plus, the rebated rim design can at times cause some issues with feeding.

There are no problems at all with the 6-06 for feeding, nice shoulder for feeding, good full diameter rim, nice case length. While its an extreme chambering for sure performance wise, its a dream to build rifles for and if used for its appropriate usages, it does very well.

A 6mm-06 loaded with a good 90-100 gr bullet will do ANYTHING the 25-06 will do with a good 100-110 gr bullet. Both are designed for use on the exact same game species, light to medium big game at moderate ranges. If you want something a bit different, the 6-06 is a fun little round to work with, extreme performance, no fireforming needed, easy to load for.

The 105-107 gr bullets can be easily driven to 3400 fps in standard 24" barrel lengths and longer barrels will drive them to 3500 fps.

Some care must be taken if your looking to run at full velocity potential with these bullets in the 6-06. My main tip, go with a 1-9 twist barrel instead of the 1-8 which conventional wisdom will often recommend. The 1-9 is plenty to fully stabilize these bullets, the slightly lower RPM levels help them on impact a bit better and it also allows higher top velocities with good accuracy then 1-8 twist will offer. That is especially true with the berger and A-Max bullets. The SMK is pretty tough, no real issues there with speed and accuracy. I have driven them over 3600 fps with fine accuracy. That is to hot for a 6-06 by the way!!!

The 6-06 Ack Improved is a round that I get asked a lot about from guys wanting a laser flat trajectory but in all honesty, its just to much capacity for the 6mm and the standard 6-06 takes out best 6mm bullets to their velocity limits with accuracy and its also a much better feeding design then the Improved version.

The best bullets in 6mm just do not seem to offer enough resistance to this large capacity(for a 6mm bore diameter) for consistant powder ignition. I have always had better velocity spreads with the standard 6-06 then I have with its improved brother.

Again, the improved version just does not offer the advantages in velocity either compared to other wildcats on the same case. For example, a 25-06 AI, 6.5mm-06 AI or 280 AI offer 125 to 150 fps over what the parent case with offer with same bullet weight in same barrel lengths. The 6mm-06 AI does not offer this advantage, its much closer to 50-75 fps which in my opinion is just not worth it for the chore of fireforming and again, the velocity spreads just seem to grow with this design, which I believe is simply because we do not have enough resistance to get consistant powder ignition.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I wrestled over whether to go with a 6-284 or 6-06 and decided on the 6-284. The feeding thing isn't a big deal with me. The 6-284 in my Vanguard action cycles quite well. Maybe not quite as smooth as the 6-06, but IMO, smooth enough. I don't foresee having to to speed cycle it like you might have to with dangerous game or whatever.

I like the overall design of the 284 case a little better, being shorter and fatter with sharper shoulders. It's generally accepted that sharper shoulders slow throat wear. I don't know if there is actually any data to back that up but it seems to be a reasonable theory. I also like that you only have to neck down the Lapua brass form .264 to .243 vs .308 down to .243 I prefer no turn necks if possible and it seems to me necking down from .308 to .243 would lead to more irregularities in the neck wall as well as more steps involved.

In the final analysis, there's not a whole lot of diff between the 2. I like the 6-284

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I wrestled over whether to go with a 6-284 or 6-06 and decided on the 6-284. The feeding thing isn't a big deal with me. The 6-284 in my Vanguard action cycles quite well. Maybe not quite as smooth as the 6-06, but IMO, smooth enough. I don't foresee having to to speed cycle it like you might have to with dangerous game or whatever.

I like the overall design of the 284 case a little better, being shorter and fatter with sharper shoulders. It's generally accepted that sharper shoulders slow throat wear. I don't know if there is actually any data to back that up but it seems to be a reasonable theory. I also like that you only have to neck down the Lapua brass form .264 to .243 vs .308 down to .243 I prefer no turn necks if possible and it seems to me necking down from .308 to .243 would lead to more irregularities in the neck wall as well as more steps involved.

In the final analysis, there's not a whole lot of diff between the 2. I like the 6-284
There is certainly nothing wrong with the 6-284, its a hell of a round, I still have one in my safe. The 6-06 is just a logical choice in a long action Rem 700.

You mention that you have to neck down the 30-06 to 6mm and that you prefer necking down the 6.5-284 to 6mm.

Not being a smart ass but have you heard of the 25-06? I actually really like the Winchester 25-06 brass and have had really good luck with its strength and consistency. Plus you hardly notice its being necked down to 6mm when you run it through a sizing die.

Again, NOTHING at all wrong with the 6-284. Its a great chambering but the 6-06 is may be the easiest high performance small bore wildcat out there other then perhaps the 6-250.

They are all good, take your pick, all will make you happy in the end!!!

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com