Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6mm BR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6mm BR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Scott View Post
I really want to say thanks for all the great feedback I get on here,

I was considering a 6mm BR build and was going over some of the details,Ive decided to go with that caliber , but was considering the advantages of going with a tight neck vs a no turn neck, considering the quality of the brass today any thoughts on whether the gain in accuracy with turned necks is worth the effort ?

Also concentricity gauges, 1 are they also worth the cost and effort ,any practical accuracy gains ? if so which one do most folks going with these days, I see Horaday has one that can "correct" concentricity anyone have feedback ?

I just bought a Forster bump/neck bushing die, have only used the expander ball type dies thus far, Ive been reading about these ex pander mandrels , are they only used with neck turning or could one use them when neck sizing with bushing dies ?

regarding "donuts" how to avoid / correct them when using bushing dies ?

Thanks in advance Scott
Go with the no-turn necks
Keep the $$ in your pocket for now that a concentricity gauge will cost you
and use your present set of dies
Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Fortuitous tread to say the least as I am contemplating a 6BR as well.

Yes, get to know the 6mmBR website. A gold mine of information and I have made some friends there.

The Savage LRPV 1-8 twist is a consideration. If you get a good barrel you should have a good shooter. And if not then you re-barrel it and hope that is the end of the problems which it should be.

To build. Of course you want to find a gunsmith you feel comfortable with and that has built these types of rifle. Probably best to listen to his suggestion regarding actions. But from my reading I would look at BAT B.

These can turn into big rifles real quick so if you are thinking of competing keep weight in mind.

Read up on David Kiff. And keep in mind what bullet you will be shooting.

Please keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

I'm also interested in your 6mmBR build. I've got a 22-250 that I was going to accurize, but 2 different gunsmiths said that for a little more than the cost of accurizing my 22-250, I could convert it to a 6mmBR and have a rifle that would carry a lot more than the 250 to 300 yards that a 22-250 is good for. They said a 6mmBR was good for 600 yards and maybe even 1000 yards. And be REALLY accurate to boot. Plus the barrel life is really good.
I hope your build works out for you.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

i built one off of a rem 700. it has "no-turn" neck. if i built one off of a farley i would consider strongly a turnn neck even though i am not very good at it. my brother has a tight neck 6ppc 40x and he turns them all the time. no problem.