Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6mm 107SMK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 6mm 107SMK

I have used them alot of game such as chucks and yotes and limited use on pronghorn and smaller deer. I will tell you that my experience echos Daves.

On lighter game you will get more pass throughs with little tissue damage such on chucks and yotes.

At ranges past 600 yards, you better hit the chucks in the coconut or solidly in the chest or they will reach their dens. I have used this bullet to take several chucks with one shot kills out to a bit over 1000 yards and again, unless you hit him in the beaner the chuck has a good shot at getting to the den.

Alot the same performance on yotes but if a shoulder is hit, there is more bullet expansion and tissue damage is significantly more.

On pronghorns and small deer, the targets have enough resistance to start to make this bullet expand reliably.

I have always said the 107 gr 6mm SMK is a better goat and deer bullet then chuck bullet. Just my experience.

I had the exact same experience with the 105 gr A-Max which I agree would expand more violently at any range but my rifle tore them apart at 3250 fps almost to the exact fps.

The 107 gr Sierra allowed up to 3600 fps(Hot load) and I settled on 3475 fps in my Lilja 1-8 3 groove 30" pipe.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: 6mm 107SMK

Kirby thank you also for your input. If they do not do a lot of damgae on a yote that is fine by me as long as I put it through the boiler room they should die. I would also like to get a big yote for a pelt or mount. I will give them a try and let you know how it goes. Only thing is I cannot shoot another deer with a rifle at least for another 11 months but yotes are always open. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again guys.