Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6mm 105 and 107 velocity debate. How fast can they be pushed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Bronze Member
Re: 6mm 105 and 107 velocity debate. How fast can they be pushed.

The answer to your question depends on a number a factors including the actual vs quoted rate of twist, and the depth of rifling. Some barrel manufacturers don't hold tight tolerances for twist. For example, I have Shilen 1:8T 6-284 that will not stabilize anything longer than the 107MK. Obviously other members and evidently Krieger have had different results. For a better explaination of this read the article on Barlein barrels in the February edition of Also, fewer lands usually means deeper lands which in turn results in a deeper engraved bullet. Some shooter believe that the depth of bullet engraving has a lot to do with the maximum velocity that a bullet can be shot without coming apart. Therefore when comparing the experience of fellow shooters it is important to take into consideration whether they are really using the same equipment or just the same caliber. I have never shot a Krieger, but if they are telling you their barrel will shoot 107MK then that's the advice I would follow.

BTW, I'd make sure the barrel you order also shoots the DTACs. If you don't get the velocity/accuracy combination you want with the 107's, you may wish to shoot the DTAC's and enjoy less drift rather than simply downloading the 107's. Although I have not run the ballistics, I suspect that the velocity advantage of the 107's vs 115's at 1K is marginal, and the terminal difference non-existent. I would tend to think that what matters most is hitting the target, and its alot easier to estimate the come-up than it is drift.

Unread 04-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member
Re: 6mm 105 and 107 velocity debate. How fast can they be pushed.

Dirtybob, thanks for the info. I am thinking I am going to stick with using the 105grn Lupua's and Bergers. I am also thinking about using the 105grn A-max's for the shorter shots on varmints. From what I have heard and read the A-max's provide a bit more splat factor on the varmints, however, they can only be pushed to around 3200fps.

The 115's and 117's sound awesome, but I am going to stick with the 105grn Bullets. The 105grn Lupua has a BC of .530 and the Berger has a BC of .556. From what I have read, the Lupua's BC is actually higher than claimed. I am going to stick with the 1-8.5 twist barrel and go with Kriegers advice.