Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #50  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohring3006 View Post
if you can get 1moa out of that vangaurd/howa I would use that...
I am almost sure there is a target in the box with the gun.I had bought that gun at Wally World for $220 when they were clearancing their guns.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,397
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I am almost sure there is a target in the box with the gun.I had bought that gun at Wally World for $220 when they were clearancing their guns.
$220? How can you go wrong...Build you a .30-06 AI out of it, and pickup some Berger 185 VLD's and use that for elk. That should be a tack-driver and a 600 yard elk hammer if you get it all trued and worked-over by a good smith, and put it in a good stock and some good glass ontop.

You can't even buy a decent action to build off of for $220. I see nothing but an opportunity here for a good budget build.

If you don't want it, I'll give you your money back out of it.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
$220? How can you go wrong...Build you a .30-06 AI out of it, and pickup some Berger 185 VLD's and use that for elk. That should be a tack-driver and a 600 yard elk hammer if you get it all trued and worked-over by a good smith, and put it in a good stock and some good glass ontop.

You can't even buy a decent action to build off of for $220. I see nothing but an opportunity here for a good budget build.

If you don't want it, I'll give you your money back out of it.
I know you are a true friend offering to buy my nib gun sight unseen

Well I guess before I do anything on a gun is to buy a scope and do some shooting with some good ammo first.How much better is an AI over a std 06 ?I just thought from what little I know looking at ballistics tables that the 7mm would be better at long range than an 06
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 464
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Mudrunner

That is an only fair offer to buy the gun- barely. I'll give $225 for it...

If it shoots leave it in 30/06. I don't see the AI version of the 30/06 as much of an improvement, and I am a big 30/06 fan. But if you rebarrel, the 280 AI is very close to the 7mm RemMag. There is a very good selection of 7mm VLD bullets and the 280 AI will toss them pretty fast. I believe Nosler offers factory brass in 280 AI as well. That cartridge will shoot flatter than a 30/06 AI but not as flat as a 300WinMag. Those factors point to the 280 AI as a rebarrel choice for that gun, IMHO.

KB
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

I never thought much about my Vanguard,now you got me thinking of using it.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,397
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
I know you are a true friend offering to buy my nib gun sight unseen

Well I guess before I do anything on a gun is to buy a scope and do some shooting with some good ammo first.How much better is an AI over a std 06 ?I just thought from what little I know looking at ballistics tables that the 7mm would be better at long range than an 06
Well, you know, just trying to be a helpful...

The 7mm bullets do have a better BC, and if it were mine, it would become a .280 AI, simply because I already have a .30-06 AI, and a .25-06 AI. So I need that 3rd Ackley to finish up that set.

I am one of THE biggest 7mm fans on this site, I was just suggesting the .30-06 AI, since you already have a perfectly good and new .30-06 barrel sitting there, why not open it up to an AI and have that cool and unique factor? Plus, with the 185 VLD's and some slow burning powder it is a beast. You could open it up to .30 Gibbs for more powder, but finding dies that are actually in stock, and safe & reliable load data will be a pain in the butt.

Midway can special order the dies, but they won't be in stock until 07/07/14.

Redding 3-Die Set 30 Gibbs

Or you could always go the .30-06 AI route, and have dies in a few days...

30-06 Improved 40*Full Length 2 Die Set | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

and you'll need

30-06 Improved 40*Neck Sizing Die | MidsouthShootersSupply.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
Mudrunner

That is an only fair offer to buy the gun- barely. I'll give $225 for it...

If it shoots leave it in 30/06. I don't see the AI version of the 30/06 as much of an improvement, and I am a big 30/06 fan. But if you rebarrel, the 280 AI is very close to the 7mm RemMag. There is a very good selection of 7mm VLD bullets and the 280 AI will toss them pretty fast. I believe Nosler offers factory brass in 280 AI as well. That cartridge will shoot flatter than a 30/06 AI but not as flat as a 300WinMag. Those factors point to the 280 AI as a rebarrel choice for that gun, IMHO.

KB
I mean, I find it to be pretty fair offering to give a man his money back for something he is debating on keeping... If he doesn't want it, that's a win-win for everybody. He gets money towards his build, I get the an action and bottom metal for my .280 AI build for $220...

The .280 is very close to the 7mm RemMag in ballistics (around 150 fps slower), and will produce more velocity with higher BC heavy-for-caliber bullets than the .30-06 AI will. Therefore, trajectory will definitely be flatter than the '06 AI. Nosler does offer factory .280 AI brass. It's expensive, but nice that you won't have to prep your brass and seat your bullets to the lands to fire-form the old fashioned way.

And KB is right, that if your barrel won't shoot for some reason, and you rebarrel it and build a complete custom (which would be your best option for a long range rifle), the .280 AI would be a better option when starting from scratch. They will sling the Berger 168 VLD's pretty well, too.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

I am backkkkkk.Had the 7mm out and looking at it and thinking.What premium ammo would be a good choice to try to see how good it shoots with a better optic ? Now jumping up from a couple of hundred dollar scope to the $500 range,what would be a good choice ? Also when you get into the $500-800 range of scopes,what do the over $1k scopes do better ? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything but I have never spent over $200 for a scope,but I know I will have to with the shotting I hope to do down the road.Thank you,Ed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC